Giant mural in London encourages people to check their chests
Featured Image Credit: CoppaFeel! X Lawless Mural (By Molly Hankinson)
When was the last time you copped a feel? No, not like that (get your head out of the gutter!). As in, checking your chest?
Well, you won’t fall short on reminders any time soon — as a huge mural has appeared in London to prompt you to check your chest.
Showcasing all genders and bodies of different shapes and sizes in one huge brightly-coloured painting, the mural, commissioned by Tyla and CoppaFeel!, is highlighting just how important it is for everybody to check their chest.
Forget pink ribbons and the dated female-only narrative. Breast cancer can affect anybody, no matter your age, gender or background, as everyone has breast tissue.
The larger-than-life piece of art by Molly Hankinson is on display on Hanbury Street, a vibrant corner of east London that's a short walk from Liverpool Street station, and arranges all the illustrations around the question: “How does your chest feel?”
The street in the heart of Shoreditch is home to iconic institutions like Truman Brewery, retail outlets for Grenson and Adidas Originals, and now sees an original CoppaFeel! mural joining the neighbourhood's famous street art.
Molly has produced a mural that brings to life real, raw and authentic feelings from CoppaFeel! creators Oneone, Steven Kellen, Remi Sadé, Talk to Coco and Cambell Kenneford.
The mural has also weaved in quotes taken from the creators' followers' comments. Pretty nifty, right?
You may have already caught a glimpse of this incredible muralist at work, alongside Lawless Studio — who are one of the top mural producers in the UK — at Hanbury Street between 2-6 November where they were bringing the campaign to life.
The forward-thinking mural was completed on 7 November and will remain visible until 20 November. So, make sure you head down in good time to take your own snaps and don't forget to share them on social media.
And if you need a further reminder (because let’s face it, we’re all busy at times) you can sign up to get free text message reminders from CoppaFeel! so you never miss a monthly self-breast check again.
And as it’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month, why don’t you show yourself some love and check your chest for any abnormalities?
- Firstly, get to know your breasts, chest or pecs on both your left and right side by taking a good look.
- Look at the area from your armpit, across and beneath your chest, and up to your collarbone on both sides.
- Be aware of any changes in size, outline or shape and changes in the skin such as puckering or dimpling.
- You may find it easier to use a mirror and, if you are able, try looking with your arms both raised and down by your sides.
- Now, feel each of your breasts, chest or pecs on the left or right.
- Feel the area from your armpit, across and beneath your chest, and up to your collarbone on each side.
- Be aware of any changes in the skin such as puckering or dimpling, or any lumps, bumps or skin thickening which are different from the opposite side.
- If you are able, you may find it easier to feel with your arms both raised and down by your sides, or lying down.
Notice your nipples:
- Time to make friends with your nipples.
- Look at each of them on the left and right.
- Be aware of any nipple discharge that's not milky, any bleeding from the nipple, any rash or crusting on or around your nipple area that doesn't heal easily, and any change in the position of your nipple.
- You may find it easier to use a mirror.
It’s important to remember what’s normal for you may be different to that of others, but if you’ve noticed something new or unusual for you, get in touch with your doctor.