To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
The father of Archie Battersbee was rushed to hospital before Monday's court ruling that his child's life support should be turned off.
The 12-year-old boy has been in a coma for the past three months after suffering serious brain damage, and has not regained consciousness since.
Earlier this July, a High Court judge ruled in favour of doctors at the Royal London Hospital, who claimed that keeping Archie on life support for further treatment was 'futile'.
After appealing the original ruling in June, Archie's parents Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee were left devastated on Monday, 25 July when they lost their appeal case.
Judges were today informed that Paul Battersbee had been rushed to hospital.
The father had fallen ill outside of court before the start of the hearing.
Barrister Edward Devereux QC, leading the legal team for Archie’s parents, had asked for the ruling to be adjourned.
He told judges that Mr Battersbee, who is in his 50s, had been taken to hospital and was feared to have suffered a heart attack or stroke.
Despite the incident, appeal judges refused to adjourn the ruling.
After he was found unconscious by his mum at his home in Southend-on-Sea, Essex on 7 April, Archie was rushed to hospital and received treatment. However doctors at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London, now believe he is braindead.
Doctors at the Royal London Hospital previously suggested that it was 'highly likely' he was 'brain-stem dead' after an MRI scan was completed.
Court of Appeal judges upheld a challenge made by Archie's parents regarding the ruling made by Mrs Justice Arbuthnot and said evidence should be reviewed.
On 29 June, the Battersbee family won their appeal to have the High Court ruling reconsidered.
On Monday, judges Sir Andrew McFarlane, the president of the Family Division of the High Court, Lady Justice King and Lord Justice Peter Jackson announced their ruling.
"After careful thought, we refuse permission to appeal", said Sir Andrew McFarlance said in court.
Before their ruling, Edward Devereux QC informed judges that Archie's parents might return to the high court for another hearing, claiming they had fresh evidence for their son's case.
It is believed that Archie's injuries could have been the result of an attempt to take part in a viral social media trend.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read