Warning after mum makes grim discovery in her kids’ lunchboxes
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Facebook
A mum warned other parents to be extra careful about the cleanliness of their kids' lunchboxes after making a disgusting discovery.
Grace Bollen was cleaning out the lunchboxes her children used when she decided to peel away the inner section that was glued to the plastic box itself, and what she found under there shocked her.
To make matters worse it's not as though these were some sort of family heirloom lunchboxes which had been passed down from generation to generation.
No, both of the ones she checked which were teeming with mould were instead no more than a year old each.
Taking to Facebook she posted the gruesome pictures of the mould-ridden lunchboxes, explaining that she'd been hand washing them each night and leaving them open to dry off.
Sharing the pictures around in the hopes that other parents might be alerted to the possibilities of a colony of mould growing mere millimetres from their kids sandwiches, she urged other mums and dads not to buy lunchboxes where they couldn't access and clean all the parts.
After seeing what a few months of use could do in terms of a mould infestation it's probably a warning worth heeding.
Grace later got in contact with the manufacturers of the lunchboxes and got them to say they'd be doing their best to ensure that from now on their products would be watertight.
She also recommended parents hold the lunchboxes up to the light every now and then to get a better view of any potential mould which had developed inside.
The mum isn't the only parent who made such a disgusting discovery in the lunchboxes with sections where water could get trapped.
Another mum came across pretty much the exact same problem, prompting shock and revulsion from plenty of parents who saw the gruesome results.
One said they had 'no clue' what was lurking just beneath the surface while another declared that this showed you can't go wrong with Tupperware.
It really should go without saying that mould and food don't belong together, with the notable exception of certain types of cheese where it's integral to the flavour.
While you'll probably be alright if you eat mouldy food, that's not a dice you need to be rolling at any point in your life and you can suffer from nausea, shortness of breath, a rise in temperature or diarrhoea from eating food tainted with the microscopic fungus.