School forced to apologise for ‘disgusting’ Father’s Day gift made by six-year-old girl for her dad
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Nine News
A school has formally apologised to a six-year-old pupil's parents after she presented her dad with a 'disgusting' Father's Day present.
Take me back to the days when you didn't have to worry about buying your parents presents because you had a dedicated session in art and design at school where you could create a hand-made card, wonky clock or pointless woodpecker.
Unfortunately, for one six-year-old, her gift didn't go down too well when she presented it to her dad on Father's Day.
So much so, her school has even had to issue an apology over it. Take a look at the present here:
Earlier this month, on Sunday, 3 September, Father's Day took place in Australia.
Trent Howard from Perth received a sweet little cube from his daughter, each side decorated with drawings and a suggestion of how he could improve his mood when he needs a boost.
One side reads: "Frog: For the times when you need to jump to it."
"Sherbie: Take when you have lost all your 'fizz'," another states.
However, the father branded the product as 'disgusting' after reading one particular side of the cube.
Tarnishing the other five messages on the gift, one face of the cube reads: "Bullet: Take when all else fails."
"If you've had enough, shoot yourself," Trent tells Nine News. "What else does it say?"
The father argued he has a 'weird sense of humour' but the cube is 'not part of any sense of humour, to anybody'.
Renae Howard - the six-year-old's mum - claims the teacher told her she thought it was 'funny,' and the pair later complained to the school over the gift.
"It's really not appropriate for kids to be given that kind of topic in a joking manner without any support around it," psychologist Bailey Bosch warns. "Children can take things really literally, it can play on their minds."
The six-year-old's school, Connolly Primary, has since issued an apology for the Father's Day present.
Deputy Director General of Schools for the WA Department of Education, Melesha Sands, told NCA NewsWire: "While I understand the activity related to confectionary, it was clearly not thought through and should never have happened.
"The school has since apologised to parents and will not be repeating this activity in future.
"The principal has also apologised directly to a parent who put in a complaint.
"I’d like to also apologise to parents and reiterate this activity was not appropriate for students, which has been discussed with the school."
If you’ve been affected by any of these issues and want to speak to someone in confidence, please don’t suffer alone. Call Samaritans for free on their anonymous 24-hour phone line on 116 123