Advert

Latest

2 minutes ago
Advert
2 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 hours ago
Advert

Woman Issues Urgent Warning After Mrs Hinch's Favourite Product Zoflora Poisoned Her Dog

Woman Issues Urgent Warning After Mrs Hinch's Favourite Product Zoflora Poisoned Her Dog

A woman has warned about the potential dangers of a Mrs Hinch favourite product, Zoflora, when her dog suffered a severe reaction after coming into contact with a floor cleaned with it.

We reported in 2018 that Vets 4 Pets in Hull advised pet owners on Facebook to be wary after a cat became "very poorly" after it was thought it had come into contact with Zoflora.

Vets 4 Pets wrote as part of an advisory Facebook post at the time: "We are aware that the packaging states it is safe to use around pets but please take precautions. As this product is aimed at pet owners, we are sharing this case."

Advert
Donna took to Facebook to warn other pet owners about her dog's experience (Credit: Facebook/Donna Brydon)
Donna took to Facebook to warn other pet owners about her dog's experience (Credit: Facebook/Donna Brydon)

Now, dog owner Donna Brydon has shared an emotional post that showed her cute pup with seriously swollen eyes, something she believes results from contact with a floor cleaned with the product at a friend's house.

She penned next to a picture of the pup: "Thought my poor furbaby was on her way out she was so sleepy and her eye swelled up. Straight to the vet and this was the answer.

"Amanda Kirkland had just washed her floor with zoflora and its poison to some dogs.

Advert
Donna's puppy's eyes were swollen after coming into contact with Zoflora (Credit: Facebook/Donna Brydon)
Donna's puppy's eyes were swollen after coming into contact with Zoflora (Credit: Facebook/Donna Brydon)

"So thankfully the medication the vet gave her has made her feel so much better love her wee face so much xx".

Luckily the dog now sounds fine after vets gave her the medication she needed.

Zoflora although claims to be pet-friendly, contains an active ingredient of benzalkonium chloride which 365vet.co.uk says on its website can be poisonous to cats and dogs.

Advert
Zoflora is one of Mrs Hinch's favourite cleaning products (Credit: Zoflora)
Zoflora is one of Mrs Hinch's favourite cleaning products (Credit: Zoflora)

It continues: "Cats are most commonly exposed to this poison through accidental ingestion from grooming and licking, on and near recently treated surfaces."

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6

Tyla also contacted the Veterinary Poisons Information Service that said: "Benzalkonium chloride is a detergent which is used in many household disinfectant products."

"We receive more than 100 enquiries each year about benzalkonium chloride exposure in pets.

Advert

"Most cases involve cats and household disinfectants and patio cleaners.

Mrs Hinch often uses Zoflora in her cleaning hack videos (Credit: PA)
Mrs Hinch often uses Zoflora in her cleaning hack videos (Credit: PA)

"Exposure can result in local irritation to the mouth with salivation and sometimes ulceration, and increased body temperature. It can take several days for injury to the mouth to heal.

"We would advise pet owners to be aware of the risks and circumstances of exposure to products containing benzalkonium chloride and, where practical, limit access to surfaces treated with these products."

Advert

When contacted about this specific case Zoflora told Tyla: "We are aware of the case and are saddened that the puppy has experienced a rare allergic reaction which could have been caused by Zoflora.

It added that Zoflora "has been used safely in households for almost 100 years, including those with pets in the home."

Apparently cats are most likely to be affected by floor cleaner because they will likely lick their paws after coming into contact with it (Credit: Pexels)
Apparently cats are most likely to be affected by floor cleaner because they will likely lick their paws after coming into contact with it (Credit: Pexels)

It continued: "Risk assessments conducted do not indicate a concern when the product is used in accordance with the on pack usage directions.

"Pets are required to be excluded from the area to be treated during application."

It advised: "When correctly diluted, Zoflora disinfectant may be used where most pets are kept.

Adding: "Do not allow pets to lick or walk on newly treated surfaces. Keep them off the surface until dry."

So basically guys, read the pack instructions and keep pets away until floors are dry and all should be OK.

Featured Image Credit: Pexels

Topics: Home, cleaning, Life, Animals, Dogs

Lauren Bell

A freelance journalist working for Tyla. After graduating with a journalism degree, Lauren started off in real life magazines before moving into the fashion and lifestyle sector at the likes of Mail Online and Sun Online. Contact Tyla: [email protected]