Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Woman shares what happened after she left a tampon inside her body for two years

Emily Brown

Published 
| Last updated 

Woman shares what happened after she left a tampon inside her body for two years

Featured Image Credit: @melaniegaleaz/TikTok

A woman has shared the story of what happened to her after she accidentally left a tampon in for two years when she was a teenager.

Melanie Galeaz, from Massachusetts, revealed the full details of her experience after sharing an initial video admitting her mistake earlier this month. Listen to her story here:

Loading…

Alongside a video of her mouthing along to Lana Del Rey, Galeaz wrote: "When I accidentally left a tampon in for two years, but I was literally just a teenage girl."

Advert

"Not my proudest moment," she added, with her admission prompting dozens of questions from baffled TikTok users.

After being asked how she didn't get Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), a life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins, Galeaz offered up more details about her experience.

She began by explaining that she had previously suffered Lyme disease as a child after being bitten by a tick. She experienced all the symptoms, but the results of the tests were 'confusing' and unclear.

Melanie didn't realise there was a tampon stuck inside her. Credit: Katharina Brandt / Alamy Stock Photo
Melanie didn't realise there was a tampon stuck inside her. Credit: Katharina Brandt / Alamy Stock Photo
Advert

She was given the necessary medication and the symptoms went away, and it wasn't until some time later when she was in high school, that she began experiencing 'pains' in her body and some 'gross stuff happening down south'.

Galeaz admitted she was embarrassed to tell the doctor what was happening, and hoped instead that what she was feeling was related to her previous Lyme disease diagnosis.

She took the medicine she had been previously recommended and it helped with the pain, but over the following two years, her problems 'down south' continued.

Eventually, Galeaz went to the gynaecologist, who 'crank[ed] her open', looked inside her vagina and 'gasped'.

Advert

"She says, 'you have a tampon stuck horizontally under your cervix'," she recalled.

Melanie has since 'parted ways' with the tampon. Credit: @melaniegaleaz/TikTok
Melanie has since 'parted ways' with the tampon. Credit: @melaniegaleaz/TikTok

Though the gynaecologist struggled to believe the tampon could have been in there for two years, doctors suggested it might have caused an infection, which led to the pain Galeaz was experiencing.

She assured viewers that she and the tampon have since 'parted ways', though TikTokers couldn't get over her shocking story.

Advert

"what i don't understand is how you didn't feel it. like ???," one person wrote, while another commented: "I left one in for 2 weeks in before on accident and it smelt HORRENDOUS. that’s crazy."

Tampon manufacturers advise that a tampon should not be left in for more than eight hours, the NHS explains. TSS has been linked to women using tampons in rare cases.

Topics: Health, Life, TikTok

Emily Brown
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Entertainment

Strictly’s Amy Dowden announces she has ‘no evidence of disease’ after cancer treatment

2 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Mother-of-four and former teacher killed herself and her kids in house fire hours after chilling last post

2 days ago