Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Maura Higgins nearly died after tampon got stuck inside her for three months

Emily Brown

Published 
| Last updated 

Maura Higgins nearly died after tampon got stuck inside her for three months

Featured Image Credit: ITV/maurahiggins/Instagram

Former Love Island contestant Maura Higgins has revealed she nearly died after having a tampon stuck in her body for three months.

Loading…

The 31-year-old opened up about her scary experience during an appearance on the ITV2 show Shopping with Keith Lemon, which, as the title implies, sees Lemon hitting the shops with a series of celebrity guests.

During the episode, Maura shared her experience as a warning to others as she admitted she had a 'very bad experience' with a tampon which led her to being 'so ill'.

"I did have a very bad experience. I'm not a doctor, I don't know much about [toxic shock syndrome], but I know you are not meant to leave a tampon inside for more than, I think it's nine hours, I think that's the max," Maura explained.

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but life-threatening condition which is caused by bacteria which can get into the body and release harmful toxins. According to the NHS, the syndrome is often associated with tampon use and 'can be fatal if not treated promptly'.

Maura stressed that being open about tampons is 'important'. Credit: @maurahiggins/Instagram
Maura stressed that being open about tampons is 'important'. Credit: @maurahiggins/Instagram

Rather than the nine hours Maura suggested, the NHS explains that tampon manufacturers advise the products should not be left in for more than eight hours.

However, Maura once had a tampon inside her for 'three months' without knowing.

The Love Island star had presumably forgotten about the object inside of her, and she explained that 'when the doctor found it, it was stuck to [her] cervix'.

"I was so ill. I did not know what was going on," she recalled.

"'There were people that have died from that happening. Young girls might not have noticed, like you go on a night out, what if you got really drunk and forgot, like, these things actually do happen, and people don't speak about it.

"I remember even being in school, I used to get my tampon out the bag, push it up my sleeve and then go to the toilet like that... thinking back, why was I doing that? It's nothing to be ashamed about, that's why I think it's an important topic isn't it?," she said.

The symptoms of TSS can come about suddenly, and include a high temperature, flu-like symptoms, diarrhoea, feeling and being sick and a widespread sunburn-like rash, among other symptoms.

Though it has been associated with the use of tampons, the syndrome can affect anyone of any age, including men and children.

Topics: Love Island, Health, ITV, TV And Film

Emily Brown
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

TV & Film

Reese Witherspoon reacts to Netflix Wednesday Legally Blonde crossover

29 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Mum says she is so good-looking that married men ask her out when she's shopping

12 hours ago