Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Woman spends days in hospital after dog accidentally pooped on her face while she was asleep

Gregory Robinson

Published 
| Last updated 

Woman spends days in hospital after dog accidentally pooped on her face while she was asleep

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

A woman and her beloved dog became a lot closer in the most unexpected way.

Amanda Gommo, 51, was taking an afternoon nap when her chihuahua, Belle became ill and had diarrhoea.

The mum-of-three was asleep with her mouth open top and tailing with Belle who accidentally did a poo on her face.

The woman and her dog were left suffering the same stomach bug. Credit: SWNS.
The woman and her dog were left suffering the same stomach bug. Credit: SWNS.

Amanda ran to the bathroom to be sick but it was too late. She ended up in hospital with a gastrointestinal infection passed on from the pooch.

“I was having my afternoon nap with Belle, like I always do, when I suddenly felt something squirt in my mouth,” Amanda, from Bristol, said.

“I rushed to the bathroom and my son was in the shower, so before I washed it out I had time to take a quick snap!

“It was disgusting, and I was hurling violently for hours after – I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”

Amanda’s daughter took Belle to the vet where the dog was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug and put on antibiotics.

Amanda needed hospital treatment. Credit: SWNS.
Amanda needed hospital treatment. Credit: SWNS.

Later in the day, Amanda started experiencing the same symptoms as Belle. She phoned 111 who sent an ambulance to her home.

She was prescribed painkillers for her stomach cramps by the paramedics and instructed to drunk lots of water to flush out any potential infection.

Loading…

After their visit, her symptoms became progressively worse, and 48 hours later, Amanda's cramps had spread all over her body.

Amanda's mum then rang 999 who dispatched another ambulance, and this time she was transported to Bristol Royal Infirmary and immediately hooked up to a drip.

There, doctors diagnosed Amanda with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed through Belle's faeces into her mouth days earlier.

Amanda has forgiven Belle for the incident. Credit: SWNS.
Amanda has forgiven Belle for the incident. Credit: SWNS.

She was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose that she'd lost throughout the horrific ordeal.

Amanda said: "From the moment I got ill to when I was put on the drip, I couldn't eat a thing.

"The cramps got worse and worse until I could feel them all over my body - even in my legs.

"They sent an ambulance the second time, and I was so dehydrated from being sick and having diarrhoea that my kidneys had shrivelled to half their size.

"I was kept in hospital for three days until they'd flushed the infection out through a drip.

"My discharge note said that I'd suffered a gastrointestinal infection caused by a dog defecating in my mouth - something doctors had never witnessed before.

"I've been drinking two Lucozades a day, plenty of tea and loads of water since it happened, and I'm happy to say both me and Belle are on the mend.

"I've forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart, but I will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future!"

Topics: Animals, Dog

Gregory Robinson
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Celebrity

Fans accuse Mariah Carey of lip-syncing during Thanksgiving parade

19 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Woman says parents shouldn't be given priority for annual leave just because they have kids

2 days ago