• News
  • Life
  • TV & Film
  • Beauty
  • Style
  • Home
  • News
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Royal Family
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Documentaries
    • Netflix
    • BBC
    • ITV
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
    • Fashion
    • Shopping
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Teenager who vanished for 27 years was found in cellar 200 yards away from home

Home> News

Updated 11:17 29 Aug 2025 GMT+1Published 11:12 29 Aug 2025 GMT+1

Teenager who vanished for 27 years was found in cellar 200 yards away from home

Omar bin Omran, from Djelfa, Algeria, was first reported missing by his family during the civil war in the 1990s

Rhianna Benson

Rhianna Benson

The heartbreaking case of Omar bin Omran stumped both crime experts and historians for years.

The man first hit headlines in his home country of Algeria almost three decades ago, following his sudden disappearance.

He was first reported missing by his loved ones in the late 1990s, in the midst of the country's civil war.

The battle waged on for 10 years, between the 90s and early 00s, following a military intervention to prevent the Islamic Salvation Front (FIS) from taking power of the country following its victory during the first round of the parliamentary elections in 1991.

Advert

With families being torn apart across the North African country, following Omran's disappearance from his home in Djelfa, his parents suspected he'd either been kidnapped or killed in the turmoil of war.

Thousands of families were torn apart during the war (STR/AFP via Getty Images)
Thousands of families were torn apart during the war (STR/AFP via Getty Images)

It wasn't until May last year - 27 years after his family last laid eyes on the man - that he was finally discovered in his own hometown.

A now 45-year-old Omran had been kept inside a hay-covered cellar underneath his neighbour's property, just 200 yards away from the home he grew up in.

Advert

Unnerving footage doing the rounds on social media after being aired on Algerian television networks shows the missing man being rescued.

In the clip, Omran - who has a full beard - blinks rapidly in a state of confusion as authorities shine daylight into his face.

Wearing a torn sweater, he is then seen being pulled up from what looks like a hole in the ground.

Police don't believe Omran ever called for help from his captivity, having been convinced that his captor had placed him 'under a spell'.

Advert

The alleged kidnapper was a 61-year-old doorman from the nearby town of El Guedid.

He was arrested at the scene after attempting to flee.

Omran's family feared he'd been kidnapped or killed as part of the civil war (EnnaharTV)
Omran's family feared he'd been kidnapped or killed as part of the civil war (EnnaharTV)

"The Djelfa Attorney General’s Office informs the public that on May 12 at 8PM local time, it found victim Omar B, aged 45, in the case of his neighbor, B.A., aged 61," Djelfa public prosecutors said in a statement, as per The Sun.

Advert

While not yet confirmed, local reports claim that Omran's family had learned of his whereabouts through the brother of the alleged kidnapper, who is said to have discussed the abduction on social media.

At the time, a court official in Djelfa said: "Following this report, the General Prosecutor of the Court of Idrisiya in the province of Djelfa ordered the National Gendarmerie to open an in-depth investigation and officers went to the house in question.

"The missing person was found and the suspect, the 61-year-old owner of the house was arrested."

The man was found aged 45 (Ennahar TV)
The man was found aged 45 (Ennahar TV)

Advert

They added: "The Public Prosecutor's Office ordered that the victim receive medical and psychological treatment, and the suspect will be presented to the Public Prosecutor's Office immediately after the completion of the investigation."

The statement said that the 'perpetrator of this heinous crime' would go to trial with 'severity'.

Omran's mother sadly passed away in 2013, never having had the chance to find out what happened to her son.

Featured Image Credit: EnnaharTV

Topics: Crime, True Crime, World News, News, True Life, Real Life

Rhianna Benson
Rhianna Benson

Rhianna is an Entertainment Journalist at LADbible Group, working across LADbible, UNILAD and Tyla. She has a Masters in News Journalism from the University of Salford and a Masters in Ancient History from the University of Edinburgh. She previously worked as a Celebrity Reporter for OK! and New Magazines, and as a TV Writer for Reach PLC.

X

@rhiannaBjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Clive Brunskill/Getty ImagesClive Brunskill/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    New footage reveals tennis player's 'gracious' response to furious opponent who hurled insults during US Opens match

    USA's Taylor Townsend went head-to-head with Latvian tennis player Jelena Ostapenko in the US Open on Wednesday (27 Aug)

    News
  • Getty Stock ImageGetty Stock Image
    2 hours ago

    People would ‘call in gay’ to work in Sweden because of bizarre LGBTQ+ laws and people are shocked

    One TikTok user was flabbergasted because it's the 'same country that ABBA came from'

    News
  • LOIC VENANCE/AFP via Getty ImagesLOIC VENANCE/AFP via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Prince Harry and King Charles 'to reunite' for first time in nearly two years

    The father and son are said to be meeting with each other in just a few weeks time

    News
  • CNNCNN
    5 hours ago

    Parents of two children killed in Minneapolis school shooting speak out

    The children, aged ten and eight, were fatally shot by a gunman, whose motives are still the subject of a police investigation

    News
  • Woman who mysteriously vanished in Mexico breaks silence after being found 'safe and well'
  • Autopsy of social media star who died after being 'tortured' on livestream reveals death was 'not due to trauma'
  • Toddler who vanished when she was 23 months old found alive 25 years later after case is reopened
  • Teen issues sobering 'Subway Surfing' warning after being discovered moments away from death