Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Mum issues warning as daughter is rushed to hospital after trying viral TikTok trend

Ali Condon

Published 
| Last updated 

Mum issues warning as daughter is rushed to hospital after trying viral TikTok trend

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

A mum has issued a warning to other parents after her teenage daughter was rushed to hospital when a TikTok trend she had tried out went horribly wrong.

Kelly Sheldon, 33, is worried that her daughter's internal organs could be permanently damaged after the 14-year-old accidentally swallowed two magnets.

Tia, 14, was trying out the new beauty craze, which involves taking two small magnetic balls and sticking them together on either side of a lip, nose, tongue, or other body part to make it look like a body piercing.

Mum Kelly issued a warning to parents after her daughter was rushed to hospital. Credit: SWNS
Mum Kelly issued a warning to parents after her daughter was rushed to hospital. Credit: SWNS
Advert

Mum-of-five Kelly said that her daughter had taken two of the colourful metallic orbs and stuck them together through her tongue one day in school, but forgot to take them out when she took a gulp of water, and wound up swallowing them.

Kelly was shocked to hear what had happened, since Tia and her other siblings are banned from TikTok while at home.

But it turned out that, last Wednesday (12 October), Tia was given the magnets by a friend and decided to try out the trend for herself.

“She’s put a silver one on the top of her tongue, and a silver one underneath her tongue, and it clamps to the tongue then and looks like a piercing.

Advert

“She’d been walking from one lesson to the other, and without thinking, she’s had a drink of water, and it’s literally just washed down.

“When the school rang me, I thought she’d swallowed a magnet in a maths or science lesson that morning."

The NHS has already called for the 'creative toys' to be banned entirely. Credit: SWNS
The NHS has already called for the 'creative toys' to be banned entirely. Credit: SWNS

After calling emergency services, Tia's mum was advised bring her daughter to hospital pronto so she could get a full body scan.

Advert

"We went and got an X-ray eventually, and they were in her lower chest area, touching," recalled Kelly.

“They said as they were touching, she was safe to go home. But we had to return for another X-ray the next day, in case she needed surgery."

Doctors were satisfied that the tiny magnets would likely pass out of Tia's system naturally with time, though they did warn that if the two magnets separated and reconnected for some reason, it could cause problems.

Loading…

Advert

"If the two balls separated, and one travels further than the other but finds a connection again while it’s away, it could pull the organs together and squish them," said the mum.

“And that could easily pierce the intestine or cause a blockage. It’s very frightening.”

If the magnets separate and reconnect while they're in Tia's system, it could cause serious health problems. Credit: SWNS
If the magnets separate and reconnect while they're in Tia's system, it could cause serious health problems. Credit: SWNS

While Kelly waits for the magnets to pass through her daughter's system, the hospital gave her a list of symptoms to look out for that could indicate a worrying development in Tia’s health.

Advert

Now, the mum is joining the NHS' calls for a full ban on the magnetic toys.

"I don’t think any child of any age should have a magnet. I don’t think there’s any reason for them, I just think it’s a bad idea full stop."

Topics: Life, Real Life, TikTok

Ali Condon
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Life

Bride sparks massive debate after making her own wedding cake

18 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Woman calls for STD to be renamed so she can use it as a baby name

2 days ago