Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Mum issues urgent warning about laundry pods after one-year-old suffered horrifying third degree burns

Rhianna Benson

Published 
| Last updated 

Mum issues urgent warning about laundry pods after one-year-old suffered horrifying third degree burns

Featured Image Credit: sponge_po/Getty Images / Facebook/Kelly Spampinato

Warning: Contains content some readers may find upsetting

A mum was plunged into her worst nightmare earlier this year when her beautiful baby girl was rushed to hospital after squeezing a laundry pod into her eyes.

Kelly Spampinato never expected her infant daughter Millie to get her hands on the dangerous pod, being that they were usually locked away in a kitchen cupboard and way out of reach.

Loading…

Advert

It was only after her six-year-old son and Millie's big brother opened the cupboard for another reason that the tot was able to reach them.

Whilst doing the hoovering in a separate room, Kelly overheard a concerning noise coming from the kitchen, before one-year-old Millie let out an agonising scream.

Immediately upon laying eyes upon her little girl, the Bristolean mother-of-two realised what was wrong.

"I was vacuuming in the living room when I heard her screams," she later told the BBC. "She must have squeezed a pod because her face was covered with it.

Advert

"I was heartbroken. I felt like the worst mum in the world and I honestly thought she would be blind."

Millie's big brother had left the kitchen cupboard open, leaving her access to the washing pods. Credit: Getty/Sol Stock
Millie's big brother had left the kitchen cupboard open, leaving her access to the washing pods. Credit: Getty/Sol Stock

Kelly attempted to splash cold water onto her daughter's face, but the tot couldn't settle down.

"I rang 111 and they advised us to take her to Southmead [Hospital] A&E," she explained.

Advert

At the medical unit, doctors continually tried to swill water around Millie's eyes to remove the harmful chemicals, but the toddler wasn't able to open them.

In fact, she remained in this harrowing state for several days, with Kelly claiming her other children were worried she'd never be able to open her eyes again.

"I didn't know what to say," the terrified mother admitted. "I never imagined this could happen."

A few days later, however, Kelly's prayers were granted as her little girl began to open her eyes.

Advert

And she was told by a consultant that Millie would thankfully make a full recovery, despite having suffered third-degree burns.

"When she opened her eye and put her arms out to me, we were all crying and and it was lovely," she said.

Kelly is now hoping that other parents will learn from her heart-stopping incident and be more mindful about where they store their alkaline-filled laundry pods.

Millie was left with third degree burns but thankfully, her eyes are now on the mend. Credit:  Facebook/Kelly Spampinato
Millie was left with third degree burns but thankfully, her eyes are now on the mend. Credit: Facebook/Kelly Spampinato
Advert

"I wouldn't want this to happen to any other family, it's just been horrendous for us all," she disclosed.

According to medical professionals, if a child gets their hands on these potentially fatal cleaning products and it goes in their eyes, parents should rinse the eye with cool water for at least 20 minutes.

They should also seek immediate medical attention.

Similarly, if a youngster accidentally consumes the chemicals, mums and dads should get in touch with the emergency services immediately, being that inhalation can trigger both choking and breathing difficulties.

Topics: Health, Pregnancy, Parenting, UK News, Real Life

Rhianna Benson
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Buckingham Palace issues statement as Thomas Kingston is found dead aged 45

6 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Two bodies found in search for missing TV presenter Jesse Baird and his partner

14 hours ago