Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Expert shares three children's toys you should never buy ahead of Christmas

Bec Oakes

Published 
| Last updated 

Expert shares three children's toys you should never buy ahead of Christmas

Featured Image Credit: TikTok/@tommythelawyer / Tatiana Dyuvbanova / Getty Images

As the big day gets closer and closer, if you haven't made a start on your Christmas shopping by now, you definitely ought to.

But, with so many new toys being released each year, it can be hard to know where to start when it comes to shopping for little ones.

From kids' tech and tablets to LEGO sets and Barbie dolls, there's an endless choice of things put underneath the Christmas tree.

Now, an expert has shortened the list slightly by sharing three children's toys you should never buy.

Advert

Loading…

Tommy John Kherkher, who goes by @tommythelawyer on TikTok, is a catastrophic injury and death lawyer.

In a video with more than 4.2 million views, he says that as somebody 'who sees the worst stuff on a daily basis,' there are a few popular toys out there that he'd definitely avoid.

They first toy is water beads. These are tiny colourful gel-like beads that can be used for sensory play, decoration and crafts. When placed in water, they absorb the water and can expand to more than 100 times their original size.

Advert

But Tommy explains that there have been reports of kids swallowing and ingesting them, which he says have resulted in 'intestinal obstructions/blockages and resulted in multiple deaths of children.'

@tommythelawyer explains the dangers behind three popular children's products. Credit: TikTok/@tommythelawyer
@tommythelawyer explains the dangers behind three popular children's products. Credit: TikTok/@tommythelawyer

He also tells viewers to avoid any sort of toy that uses button batteries.

"Those things are crazy dangerous," he says. "What happens is, if a child swallows one by accident, it gets lodged in their oesophagus or in their windpipe and due to the chemical mixture within the batteries, they can erode the oesophagus and burn a hole in it in a matter of minutes."

Advert

Lastly, Tommy would stay away from any incline sleeping devices for tots. He clarifies that this is anything that's marketed for your baby to sleep in that isn't completely flat.

He explains: "The bottom line is, babies should always be sleeping flat on their back and not at an incline."

A comment below the clip goes on to further explain why this is. It reads: "Their heads can lean forward causing their airway to block."

Other comments agreed with Tommy's recommendations. One person wrote: "As an infant teacher, incline bouncers are nice to have, but they are NOT for sleeping under any circumstances."

Topics: TikTok, Christmas, Parenting, Life

Bec Oakes
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Entertainment

Strictly’s Amy Dowden announces she has ‘no evidence of disease’ after cancer treatment

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Girl, 7, dies after being buried alive in hole she was digging at the beach

2 days ago