To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Government Issues Urgent Safety Warning Over Heated Hairbrush That Can Go Up In Flames

Government Issues Urgent Safety Warning Over Heated Hairbrush That Can Go Up In Flames

If you own one of these drying hairbrushes, stop using it immediately and get a refund!

The government has issued an urgent warning to owners of the 'One Step SM-5250' hairbrush and other similar models as they can spontaneously catch fire.

The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) said that the product was subject to a Safety Gate alert in 2020, notifying people of the danger.

However, the product remains on sale via online market places alongside other similar models.

According to the 2020 report, the brushes don't offer enough protection against heat, which means that when they are used to dry a person's hair, they can overheat and catch fire.

If you own a product that is similar to the One Step model you are advised to stop using it straight away and contact its maker for a refund.

The One Step brush.
Office for Product Safety and Standards

Graham Russell, the OPSS Chief Executive, said: "OPSS is issuing this urgent warning to the public because we believe there is real danger that these products will cause serious harm if used.

"The fact that they are still available for sale two years after the initial alert is a matter that we are currently investigating."

The organisation explained that it has conducted a series of tests on the products and found that they did not meet their safety standards and a number of them even caught fire.

The OPSS has also contacted suppliers to stop the sale of the hairbrushes with immediate effect.

The recall notice reads: "The product’s plug does not meet the dimensional requirements of the relevant standard, presenting an electric shock hazard when plugging it in, or pulling it out of a mains electrical socket. The mains plug was also not fitted with a fuse link conforming to the relevant standard.

"Additionally, the product is supplied with an adaptor which allows possible access to live parts, presenting a risk of electric shock. The product also requires improvements to labelling, markings and instructions. The product does not meet the requirements of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016 or the Plugs & Sockets (Safety) Regulations 1994."

This warning comes after a man issued a warning against normal, non-electrical hairbrushes too after his caught fire last year when it was left in the sun.

He took to TikTok to explain that the presence of a mirror near his hairbrush caused the plastic to heat up and catch fire and is warning others about the unexpected danger.

A smoking hairbrush.

"I was lucky to catch it but imagine being out, be aware," he warned.

This is definitely a warning to heed this week too as the UK is in the midst of a potentially record breaking heatwave.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Office for Product Safety and Standards

Topics: Life