tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Katherine Heigl addresses Grey’s Anatomy controversy with honest response
Home>Entertainment>TV & Film
Published 17:08 2 Jul 2024 GMT+1

Katherine Heigl addresses Grey’s Anatomy controversy with honest response

Katherine Heigl has finally addressed her controversial Emmy decision whilst filming Grey's Anatomy

Mia Williams

Mia Williams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Michael Desmond/Disney General Entertainment Content via Getty Images/Vivian Zink/Disney General Entertainment Content via Getty Images

Topics: Grey's Anatomy, TV And Film

Mia Williams
Mia Williams

Advert

Advert

Advert

Katherine Heigl has finally addressed her controversial Emmy decision during Grey’s Anatomy, claiming that she wasn’t ‘trying to be a d**k’.

Katherine Heigl was a Grey’s Anatomy original when it first aired in 2005, starring as Isobel Katherine Stevens for six seasons of the hit medical drama.

Despite being an original cast member, she developed a turbulent relationship with the drama after she criticised the storylines she had been given.

Advert

She disapproved of them so much, that rumours were spread that she turned down an Emmy nomination for the performance, as she didn’t believe 'she was worthy'.

This caused quite the stir amongst fans, as they speculated that her relationship with the show was on the rocks.

The actress had already won an Emmy in the Outstanding Supporting Actress category, but opted out of the nomination process in 2008.

Well, as part of a recent interview on the Let's Be Clear... with Shannen Doherty podcast, the headline-grabbing Emmy withdrawal has been addressed for the first time in over a decade.

Katherine Heigl has opened up about the controversial decision surrounding an Emmy she was nominated for. (ABC)
Katherine Heigl has opened up about the controversial decision surrounding an Emmy she was nominated for. (ABC)

In the June 28 interview, Heigl claimed that the rumour she had ‘turned down’ the nomination was completely false.

Responding to Doherty, she said: “I didn't turn it down. You know, you have to submit yourself.

“You have to submit your work and then they deliberate and then they decide if they want to give you a nomination. I just didn't submit my work that year.”

Reflecting on whether she should have gone about the situation differently, Heigl added: “And I should, you know, I don't know, my mother and I were talking about this recently.

“I should have said nothing. I should have just said ‘Oh I forgot,’ because it created such a maelstrom that was so unnecessary, and it really was.”

But Heigl did say that there was a reason she didn’t put her work forward, admitting that it was a slight dig at the Grey’s Anatomy producers.

She reflected on the situation, suggesting she could have handled it differently. (ABC)
She reflected on the situation, suggesting she could have handled it differently. (ABC)

She continued: “I was kind of trying to make a bit of a snarky point about my material that year, but I was also just not feeling my material.

“I didn't think I had anything that warranted even the consideration for a nomination.

“I just wasn't proud of my work… I would never be so bold or so arrogant to turn down a nomination.”

She added that she thought that she didn’t ‘warrant’ being nominated for an Emmy that year, and claimed it was an attempt to appeal ‘honourable’.

"I was trying to have some integrity. I wasn't trying to be a d**k."

Choose your content:

8 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Sean Gardner/Getty Images
    8 mins ago

    NASCAR champion Kyle Busch celebrated his son's birthday in heartbreaking message

    The NASCAR champion died aged 41 on Thursday (21 May) after experiencing a 'severe illness'

    Entertainment
  • Instagram/@wesleeeandrews
    an hour ago

    Katie Price 'disgusted' by 'missing' husband Lee Andrews as she makes sad birthday admission

    Lee Andrews, who married the reality TV star in a surprise January ceremony, previously claimed he was being 'detained' at a 'black site'

    Entertainment
  • Sean Gardner/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    NASCAR star Kyle Busch's eerie message after final win before death at 41 following 'severe illness'

    The two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion and 'one of the sport’s greatest drivers' died yesterday (21 May) following a 'severe illness'

    Entertainment
  • (Bob Riha Jr/Contributor/Getty Images)
    3 hours ago

    Boy Meets World star William Daniels, 99, shares truth behind ‘open marriage’ with Bonnie Bartlett

    The Hollywood couple’s seven-decade marriage has faced more than one public chapter

    Entertainment
  • Ellen Pompeo’s yearly Grey’s Anatomy salary is sparking debate
  • Grey’s Anatomy star Eric Dane reveals first symptom he experienced before being diagnosed with ALS
  • Grey’s Anatomy fans in tears as Sandra Oh becomes a doctor ‘for real’
  • Grey’s Anatomy stars appear to confirm romance years after onscreen fling