You Can Now Get A Cheese Advent Calendar This Christmas
Advent calendars are great if you have a sweet tooth, but often those who prefer savoury food get forgotten at Christmas. That is, they did until Annem Hobson created her iconic cheese advent calendar.
Yep, you heard that right. An advent calendar full of cheese...
Food blogger Annem, 31, from London - owner of blog So Wrong It's Nom - invented the calendar in 2016, after getting miffed at the lack of cheese in supermarkets ahead of the holiday season.
And it has grown in popularity ever since - now a must-have for cheese addicts across the country.
The cheesy alternative advent calendar features slices of fromage behind each door.
This year's offering has everything from spicy Mexicana to Ilchester mature Cheddar and Applewood Vintage PDO.
With 24 doors and nine different types of cheese, the calendar is jam packed full of five new cheeses from the Ilchester range, alongside some classic favourites.
Check out the full contents of the calendar below:
· Applewood - A light, smoky cheese with a smooth texture and a hint of paprika, this cheese is made in the West Country from British cheddar.
More Like ThisMore Like This
· Applewood Vintage PDO Aged for 12 months - Created from traditional hand-turned farmhouse Cheddar and a dusting of paprika, too, this cheese's smoky flavour is enhanced thanks to its age, and it promises a delightfully smooth, creamy texture.
· Ilchester Derby with Sage - One of England's most popular cheeses, this is seasoned with finely chopped sage, in a tradition which dates back to the 17th century.
· Ilchester Mature Cheddar - Made in the West Country, not far from the Mendip Hills, where cheddar originated, this cheese is tangy and earthy with a creamy texture.
· Ilchester Double Gloucester - A mellow, hard cheese with a strong, savoury flavour, this one is not to be missed.
· Ilchester Red Leicester - Known for its orange colour, this strong, nutty Red Leicester is a must on any cheese board.
· Ilchester Aged Red Leicester - Much like above, but aged for a minimum of nine months giving in order to further enhance its delicious, tangy flavours.
· Mexicana - With a hint of spice thanks to a combination of bell, jalapeño and chilli peppers and a secret mix of Mexican spices, this traditional British Cheddar packs a punch.
· Ilchester Vintage PDO Cheddar - Made in the West Country near the Mendip Hills, this cheddar is dry and mature, with added bite.
Due to retail at RRP £8 in Sainsbury's, Lidl, Waitrose, Morrisons, Ocado, Booths, and Amazon UK from the beginning of November 2020, the calendar has become so popular in recent years that it has even begun to outsell some chocolate ones.
Cheese lovers, get yourself some crackers - advent has never been so delicious.
Featured Image Credit: So Wrong It's Nom
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read