Giant Pan Cookies Are A Thing And OMG
That something is a giant 'pan cookie' or 'skillet cookie', which essentially offers a supersized take on your favourite gooey cookie recipe and is made in a cast iron, flat-bottomed pan.
You could use any oven-safe dish as an alternative, but the benefit of using in a heavy, cast iron skillet is that it helps give a crisp and buttery crust without losing that soft, oozy centre.
Skillet cookies are still baked in the oven like ordinary cookies but have the benefit of being one big, soft serving which is perfect to share - and comes with minimal clean-up, too.
We've seen giant cookie creations laden with toppings like Pretzels, chopped walnuts, dollops of peanut butter and generous scoops of vanilla ice cream. Mmm!
Food blogger and home cook Ana Guisbell, who shares foodie content under the Insta handle @inspiredwithatwist, has created a skillet cookie creation with an extra kick of espresso - and it looks divine.
Ana says: "The flavour of espresso and melted chunks of dark chocolate make this warm, gooey chocolate chip skillet cookie perfect for sharing."
Fancy making it yourself? Skip the baking sheets, grab your skillet and follow the recipe below.
Skillet Dark Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookie
More Like ThisMore Like This
You will need:
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup or more of Dark Chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 7 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp mascarpone
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- peanut butter (optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a cast iron skillet
- Beat the butter on medium for about 5 min and then add in both sugars.
- Stir in egg, vanilla, mascarpone and espresso powder.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough into a 6-8 inch cast iron skillet.
- Take a small spoon and dollop the peanut butter around the cookie( I added around 3 spoonful)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and edges are set. Every oven is different! Start checking it after 20 min. the middle should barely be cooked. Once you take it out of the oven, it continues cooking so remember that!
- Enjoy with some ice cream and extra toppings like nuts, caramel or chocolate sauce!
And if that isn't enough skillet cookie inspo for you, check out this lot:
Happy baking, folks.
Featured Image Credit: Instagram / @homebakedco