Thankfully for Pizza Express fans, the high street Italian - famed for its dough balls, carbonara and could-be-in-Italy pizzas - is releasing the secret recipe for one of its bestsellers: the classic Margherita.
Yes, the restaurant has helpfully posted how to make the mozzarella pizza so you can enjoy the next best thing to a Pizza Express from your own home.
The recipe involves just 12 steps, roughly 40 minutes of prep and 10 mins of cooking time for one large pizza.
Ingredients-wise, you'll need yeast, flour, sugar, water and salt for the base and tomato passata, mozzarella, oregano, basil and black pepper for the topping.
The recipe is the latest in Pizza Express's #HomemadeFavourites series, where the chain has already shared recipes for its iconic Dough Balls, Dough Balls Parmigiana and Cheese & Bacon Dough Balls. Mmmm!
Here's the full how-to for the Margherita Pizza (or you can download it here):
- 150ml warm water (roughly 27 degrees)
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 15g fresh yeast or 2 level tsp of dry yeast
- 225g of plain flour (plus extra for working)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil & a little for drizzling
- 80g of PizzaExpress passata (or any tomato passata you have)
- 70g mozzarella (or any cheese you have)
- Pinch of oregano
- 1 Basil leaf (if you have one)
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Add the sugar and crumble the fresh yeast into warm water.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes in a warm place (we find a windowsill on a sunny day works best) until froth develops on the surface.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Lightly flour your hands, and slowly mix the ingredients together until they bind.
- Generously dust your surface with flour.
- Throw down the dough and begin kneading for 10 minutes until smooth, silky and soft.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film or a towel. Leave to rest until soft to the touch, but not too springy - about 15 mins.
- On a well floured surface, evenly roll each piece with a rolling pin to make a round, thin pizza base.
- Place on a lightly oiled, non-stick baking tray (we used a round one, but any shape will do!)
- Spread the passata on top making sure you almost go to the edge.
- Evenly place the mozzarella (or other cheese) on top and season with the oregano and black pepper then drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Cook in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until the cheese slightly colours.
- When ready, place the basil leaf on top if you have one.
Back in early October, it was reported that the much-loved high street eatery was in administration talks, reportedly facing a debt of over £1.6 million per restaurant.
However in November, it was reported its owner Hony Capital would be injecting £80 million into the flailing business to save it.
Make sure to keep your eye on Pizza Express's Homemade Favourite's page for the next recipe.
We're crossing all our fingers for a pasta!