Everyone's Making Gigi Hadid's Penne à La Vodka
Stars such as Gigi Hadid and singer and cookery writer Jessie Ware have shared their love for the unusual recipe, with vodka at its heart, and we're here for this tbh.
The deceptively simple recipe involves a couple of cupboard staples - think pasta, Parmigiano Reggiano, garlic and chillies, with the addition of our favourite alcoholic tipple. The special ingredient in this unique recipe is a few tablespoons of triple distilled vodka.
Penne à la vodka, as the interesting take on the classic pasta with tomato sauce recipe is known, has taken the celeb world by storm after Gigi Hadid took to Instagram to share her favourite way to cook it.
The supermodel, who is expecting a baby with former One Direction singer Zayn Malik, posted a story of her recipe to her Instagram stories.
Fear not if you don't have all the ingredients to hand - Gigi substitutes passata for tomato and basil sauce and the shallot for a red onion (just use less of it, she advises) as she takes us through the full cooking experience on her Instagram story highlight 'From my Kitchen II'.
And it seems that Gigi isn't the only one who loves this unusual recipe.
Host of the Table Manners podcast and cookery book author Jessie Ware also has her own take on this recipe.
Jessie substitutes the double cream for crème fraiche and adds a lemon, dill and caviar into the mix too.
Meanwhile, influencers and bloggers are also following suit.
Instagrammer Molly Madfis (@almostmakesperfect) raves about the recipe, while other bloggers advise using "the good stuff" when it comes to the vodka.
So how do you go about trying this celeb favourite recipe for yourself?
According to budget supermarket Aldi, the summer favourite recipe only uses a few key cupboard staples.
As well as pasta, passata and Parmigiano Reggiano, you'll also need some double cream and triple distilled vodka no less.
Here's the full recipe:
More Like ThisMore Like This
People Are Making Squashies Vodka In Their Dishwashers And It Feels Like Freshers All Over Again
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tablespoons triple distilled vodka
450g penne pasta
120ml double cream
50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for serving
½ teaspoon crushed chillies
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add the shallot and garlic and cook until softened.
2. Add the passata, chilli flakes and fresh basil leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
3. While the sauce cooks, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the penne pasta until al dente before draining.
4. Melt the butter in a separate pan and add the drained pasta until coated well.
5. Add the tomato sauce and cream to the pasta while stirring on a high heat.
6. Add the vodka and toss again, before removing from the heat.
7. Stir in half of the parmesan cheese until melted, and sprinkle the rest on top with torn fresh basil.
We look forward to trying this one out!
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay