Italian Food Has Been Named The Most Popular Cuisine In The World
The YouGov survey examined the eating habits of more than 25,000 people in 24 countries.
Respondents were asked about 34 national cuisines, including whether they had tried them and whether they liked or disliked them.
The cuisines included in the survey were diverse, with examples including Norwegian, Peruvian, Saudia Arabian, Moroccan and Taiwanese.
Italian cuisine came top of the charts, with an average popularity score of 84% across the 24 nations surveyed. It seems that pasta and pizza are universally adored, a fact we don't find surprising at all.
Unsurprisingly, the biggest fans of Italian food were the Italians themselves, with 99% of those questioned saying they enjoyed their national cuisine (who makes up the mysterious remaining 1%, we wonder?).
Other Italian cuisine enthusiasts included the Spanish and the French. Conversely, only 59% of Chinese people surveyed enjoyed eating Italian food.
Italian food may have hit the top spot, but it was closely followed by the next two most popular cuisines: Chinese, which scored an average popularity score of 78%, and Japanese in third place with 71%.
Chinese food was most favoured by Chinese people, with Singaporeans and respondents from Hong Kong rating it most highly.
Japanese food was liked by 94% of Japanese people, and was also rated highest by those surveyed from Singapore and Hong Kong.
At the bottom of the table, the least popular food was Peruvian (mystifying: how can you not like ceviche?). Only 32% of those surveyed like Peruvian food, although there were no Peruvian respondents, which skews the results slightly.
Faring slightly better than Peru, but still at the bottom of the chart, was Finnish and Saudi Arabian food, which scored 32% and 36% respectively.
If you're wondering which foods us Brits liked best, our top five cuisines were British, with 91% of people saying they liked it, Italian, also with 91%, Chinese, with 86%, Indian, with 84% and Spanish with 80%.
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay
Topics: Tasty Food