| Last updated
But have you heard of the festive sourdough? If you're looking for something to rustle up this weekend, look no further - it's the ultimate Christmassy recipe and it looks very festive, too.
It couldn't be easier to make and can be achieved simply by following your favourite sourdough recipe (we've also popped a simple one below) with a few minor changes added in.
Here's how to do it...
1. Add the strong white bread flour, sourdough starter and water into a bowl and slowly stir until combined.
2. Add the salt and any additional ingredients. If it's too dry, add a splash of warm water or try a little extra cinnamon if it's too wet.
3. On a floured surface, squeeze and push down your mixture to combine, but don't knead too much. Then, leave your dough for 30 minutes to rest.
4. After half an hour, turn out your sourdough on a wet surface and begin stretching and folding. Pull the dough outwards, focussing on one side at a time before folding each corner.
5. Leave to rise for two hours before doing another stretch and fold. Then, leave to rise for another two hours.
6. Now for the fun part! Once the dough has risen, take a sharp craft knife, and carve out your festive design of choice (a Christmas tree is a good starting point) on top of your dough. Using a piece of kitchen string, simply mark one vertical line down the middle of the dough, followed by three horizontal lines, evenly spaced out.
7. Use this as a guide to carve out a Christmas tree (we've included a handy video by @ikneadbread below) before popping in the oven for 40 minutes to an hour.
And it certainly seems like the Christmas sourdough has been popular on social media, with plenty of bakers posting their designs on Instagram and TikTok.
Of course, you can switch up your Christmas design for any you fancy (maybe a snowman?!) and feel free to add in any other festive ingredients.
This lot are certainly giving us inspo'!
That's our weekend baking sorted then!
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read