To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Mum's Warning After B&M Wax Burner Ignites Leaving Her Homeless

| Last updated 

Mum's Warning After B&M Wax Burner Ignites Leaving Her Homeless

A mum has issued a warning after a wax melt burner from B&M 'ignite' leaving her with nowhere to live.

Vikki Henvey, from Kingston-Upon-Thames, has been left with nowhere to live after a freak accident saw her burner catch fire, despite not even being lit at the time.

You can see the extent of the damage below.



The 33-year-old was at a friend's barbecue when she received a text from her neighbour saying her second floor flat was on fire.

Full-time mum Vicky, and her six-month-old baby Tilly, returned home to find the fire had ripped through her two-bed home.

Firefighters said that the wax burner had caused the blaze through bizarre coincidence.

The wax melt burner ruined Vikki's flat (Credit: SWNS)
The wax melt burner ruined Vikki's flat (Credit: SWNS)

It is thought sunlight through a window reflected off a mirror, and re-ignited an extinguished candle inside the melt holder.

It heated up and exploded - setting fire to her hallway, which spread flames through every room in her home.

Nobody was injured, with those on the scene rescuing dog Vicky's dog Bruno out of the burning building.

Speaking about the incident, Vicky described the events as "a nightmare".


"I can't believe it's happened. I had a wax burner in every room of the flat so it's really scary," she explained.

"I'd been at my friend's BBQ for about an hour and a half when my next door neighbour texted to say my flat was on fire and I obviously panicked because my dog was inside.

"I drove home and saw two fire engines outside with a fireman holding my dog who was literally black from the fire - he's normally a brindle colour.

"He was covered in burns but they got him out just in time - we nearly lost him."

Several of Vikki's items were destroyed (Credit: SWNS)
Several of Vikki's items were destroyed (Credit: SWNS)

She continued: "There was all this smoke coming out of the windows and then the firefighters took me upstairs where I saw all of the damage and I just literally broke down.

"The firefighters said that if it had happened at night then there's no way that we would have got out as the fire was by the front door and we live in a second floor flat.

"My last property got burgled and we lost everything, and now this has happened and it's like I have to start all over again once again. It's just devastating."


The wax burner was just £2.99 from Vikki's local B&M store, and she had been using it a lot in more recent weeks.

She lit the wax burner the night before the fire for about an hour and blew out the tealight candle - which sits inside the holder and melts the wax - before going to bed.

Vicki explained that firefights had told her they believe sunlight was reflected, relighting the tealight candle and causing the ceramic holder to overheat and explode, spreading the flames.

Tilly's objects were also destroyed (Credit: SWNS)
Tilly's objects were also destroyed (Credit: SWNS)

"A fireman said to me that they don't even have to be on - he said where they overheat over a certain amount of time, they can then actually explode," Vicki explained.

"I've lost everything in the flat. All of the stuff that isn't fire damaged is all ruined from the smoke and fire hose. It stinks of damp up there - everything is black.

"My bed and all of Tilly's baby stuff all has to be chucked.

"The lights have all melted and the hallway ceiling has now caved in so I can't even go back into the property now."

Vicky has been staying in a £49 a night Travelodge while she looked for a new flat. While she's just signed a new tenancy agreement, Vicky has had to buy all new furniture as she lost her belongings in the fire.

"I've been having really bad nightmares. I'm waking up every night soaked in sweat," she said.

"With none of my furniture insured, we've lost everything. I never thought to insure my stuff - I just didn't think anything like this would ever happen to me."

Vikki has had to vacate the two bedroom property (Credit: SWNS)
Vikki has had to vacate the two bedroom property (Credit: SWNS)

The Essence Ceramic Oil Burner is described on the B&M website as being able to 'provide a constant and pleasant aroma at home'.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Firefighters were called to a fire at a first floor flat on Fassett Road in Kingston on Sunday 13th June.

"Part of the hallway of the flat was damaged by the blaze. Firefighters rescued one dog from the property. There were no reports of any injuries.

"The Brigade was called at 1517 and the fire was under control by 1607. Two fire engines from Surbiton and Kingston fire stations were at the scene.

The wax burner caught light (Credit: SWNS)
The wax burner caught light (Credit: SWNS)

"Any product for your home which uses a candle is a risk, so just like stand-alone candles, tea-lights and incense sticks, we would always advise caution when using them.

"Candles are one of the most common causes of fire, and they should never be left unattended. If you're leaving the room and especially if you are going out or going to bed, blow them out.

"Any item which requires a candle should ensure it can be placed firmly in a heat-resistant holder and kept on a stable surface where it won't be knocked over. You should also keep them away from flammable items such as curtains and bedding."

Tyla has gone to B&M for comment.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: UK News, Life News, Home, Life

Kimberley Bond
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Shocking Moment Swimmer's Coach Dives Into Pool To Save Her After She Fainted In The Water

4 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read


Mum Who Mooned Crowd Says She's Had Over 500 Messages From Men

3 days ago