Man Burns Down His Flat After Elaborate Candle Proposal Ends In Disaster
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Firefighters have issued a warning after a man accidentally burned down his flat while planning an elaborate proposal for his girlfriend.
Groom-to-be, Albert Ndreu, 26, used hundreds of tealights and candles to set the scene, even spelling out 'marry me?' for his girlfriend Valerija Madevic.
But when Albert left the first floor flat unattended to go and pick Valerija up from work, the whole place set on fire.
When the couple, from Sheffield, returned home, they found three fire crews tackling the huge blaze.
"I put balloons and candles everywhere, I had to go all out," said Albert.
"I wanted to say something like she was the light of my heart, but maybe that was too much light. I was so nervous, this was the first time I have ever proposed and I hope it will be the last.
"I was so worried about everything going wrong I never imagined I could set the house on fire. But it will always be an unforgettable day for us and a story which will be amazing to tell our children.
In a warning to others, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service have shared shocking images of the damage.
"So, here's the deal," they wrote on Facebook.
"Look closely at these photos and you'll see lots of burnt out tea lights. Hundreds of them. These were lit by a chap in his Sheffield flat, as he prepared to pop the question to his girlfriend.
"Balloons were up and wine glasses were at the ready. However, after going round the corner to collect his fiancé-to-be, ready for the romantic moment, he came back to find the flat on fire and three fire engines on the way.
"Fortunately this was dealt with quickly by our crews and nobody was injured."
However, there was some good news to come out of the disaster - she said yes!
Albert added: "I was planning the proposal for over two weeks - I kept struggling to find the right thing to do to mark the special moment.
"I wanted to do something from my heart even if it didn't go exactly as planned. Valerija always says the most important thing is the small gestures every day - but I wanted to do something special for the proposal.
"I bought the most important thing, which was the ring, and I just needed to make sure the day was perfect. It didn't go exactly as I thought it would but she said yes, so I think the day took an unexpected turn but ended up exactly how I wanted it to."
Valerija said when Albert first showed up at work, with a bunch of flowers, she was suspicious he had done something wrong - but, she never imagined what would be waiting for her at home.
"When I got the flowers I thought he must have broken something or destroyed something in the house," she said.
"Little did I know he had destroyed our entire living room. I was in total shock, I was shaking because it looked like it was really bad."
"Meanwhile, a shopkeeper who works below the flat said: "There were like 20 candles and when he came back there was a blaze.
"Then he proposed outside during the fire. He didn't get on his knees and she gave him a kiss. He had to make her happy after all that somehow.
"I was worried because I got messages from the locals saying 'Your shop's on fire'.
"We've got no damage, just a bit of damp on the ceiling. Just the living room upstairs was damaged. It's all ash, the walls are fully smoked out."
One thing is for sure, it's certainly a memorable proposal! Congrats guys.