Advert

Latest

7 hours ago
Advert
7 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

12 hours ago
Advert

NHS Issues Urgent Warning About Leaving Hand Sanitiser In Your Car When It’s Hot

NHS Issues Urgent Warning About Leaving Hand Sanitiser In Your Car When It’s Hot

The NHS has issued an urgent warning to those leaving hand sanitiser in their cars during the hot weather.

In a public notice, they stated that alcohol-based sanitiser is a potential fire risk, as it becomes too hot when left inside a vehicle in the heat.

Advert

Releasing shocking pictures of cars that have literally *melted* as a result of this, they made clear why it was so important to bring yours into the cool.

This is the damage the sanitiser can cause (Credit: NHS property services)
This is the damage the sanitiser can cause (Credit: NHS property services)

"This quick share is to alert all colleagues to the potential fire risk in vehicles, caused by alcohol-based hand sanitiser," they wrote.

"We have received a number of reports of hand sanitiser being the cause of fires when left in vehicles in the hot weather the UK is currently experiencing."

Fires start because the alcohol in hand sanitiser releases flammable vapours when heated.

Advert

If temperatures are 25 degrees Celsius outside the car, they could reach as high as 55 degrees inside the car.

The damage can be really severe (Credit: NHS Property Services)
The damage can be really severe (Credit: NHS Property Services)

The notice explained: "These vapours are reaching their "flash point" and then ignite in normal air conditions, setting fire to flammable components within the car.

"Remove all alcohol-based hand sanitiser products from vehicles when they are not occupied, do not leave hand sanitiser in unattended vehicles.

"It is no surprise to see pictures circulating on social media showing severely damaged vehicles due to hand sanitiser bottle that had ignited inside a vehicle sitting in direct sunlight," an expert from safety training company CE Safety said.

Pressure can also build up inside the sanitiser bottle when it overheats, meaning they could rupture and explode, causing possible injury.

Keep your hand sanitiser in a cool place (Credit: Pexels)
Keep your hand sanitiser in a cool place (Credit: Pexels)

The warning comes as we could face the hottest day of the year this week, with temperatures set to reach 30 degrees in some areas of the country today.

Of course, hand sanitiser is still a very important means of protecting yourself from coronavirus.

Just make sure you're bringing it in from the car afterwards!

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Life News, News

Joanna Freedman

Joanna is a journalist at Tyla with a particular interest in highlighting women's issues and telling inspiring first person stories. She's also their resident foodie, and loves covering exciting new beauty launches, too. Contact her at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Jodie Comer Reveals How Stephan Graham Discovered Her And Helped Launch Her Career

Jodie Comer Reveals How Stephan Graham Discovered Her And Helped Launch Her Career

14 days ago