Vet Issues Warning About Dog Virus Sweeping The UK
A vet from Derbyshire has issued a warning about a bacterial infection that is affecting dogs across the country.
Dr John Rosie has issued the warning after seeing a "higher than normal" number of gastroenteritis cases in dogs over the last two weeks.
Gastroenteritis is the swelling of the stomach and intestines and can involve abdominal discomfort, pain, diarrhoea and vomiting.
Uncomplicated gastroenteritis is often caused by eating spoiled or contaminated food, and as dogs have a natural urge to explore and scavenge when outside it is often hard to prevent.
However, owners can discourage dogs from eating foreign objects while out on walks and keeping an eye on what they try to eat.
Dr Rosie, who is the founder of Belper-based mobile veterinary clinic [email protected] believes that the illness is spreading.
He says he has experienced a rise in cases over the past two weeks and has been treating about five infected dogs per week, and said the virus was not as common during the rest of the year.
Dr Rosie, who has been a vet since 2004, told the Derby Telegraph: "We see a lot of people in their own home but there has been a higher number of cases although we don't have the exact diagnosis of what the cause is yet.
"The dogs seem to be responding to the treatment we are giving them.
"We mainly cover Belper but this is just a snapshot is what is going on in the wider area."
The vet has also encouraged owners to keep on top of their pet's hygiene to help prevent them from catching infections.
He said: "They should wash and disinfect their dog's paws after going out walking in case they pick up anything on their feet."
As we all know pet owners have to be on their toes at all times and make sure their dogs aren't digesting anything they shouldn't.
At the end of last year one vet warned Mrs Hinch fans about excessive use of Zoflora and how it can make your pets very ill.
Vets 4 Pets in Hull warned pet-owners after they claim a cat became 'very poorly' after it was thought to come into contact with Zoflora.
However, a spokesperson for Zoflora responded to the vets' claims, telling Birmingham Live the brand "has been used safely in households for almost 100 years, including those with pets in the home."
Featured Image Credit: Pexels