Advert

Latest

9 hours ago
Advert
9 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Woman Almost Dies From Sepsis After Accidentally Leaving Tampon In For Five Days

Woman Almost Dies From Sepsis After Accidentally Leaving Tampon In For Five Days

A mum-of-one from Essex has warned of the dangers of leaving tampons in too long after nearly dying of toxic shock syndrome and sepsis.

Amy Williams, 24, was left hospitalised when she accidentally left her tampon in for five days and contracted toxic shock syndrome.

The life-threatening condition can lead to septic shock - a serious case of sepsis - and can cause multiple organ failure and death if it is left untreated.

Mum-of-one Amy wants to warn others of the dangers of toxic shock syndrome (Credit: HotSpot Media)
Mum-of-one Amy wants to warn others of the dangers of toxic shock syndrome (Credit: HotSpot Media)
Advert

Amy now wants to raise awareness of the rare condition and warn others of the dangers of leaving tampons in for too long.

She says: "I had heard of toxic shock syndrome but didn't think it would ever happen to me.

"I'd been using tampons for ten years, but I'll never use one again now.

"I want to warn women and young girls to be extra careful when using them," she adds.

Advert

The PA, who works for Basildon Council, was on a night out with her boyfriend Samuel Mullen when she went to the toilet to change her tampon.

Amy Williams, 24, and boyfriend Samuel Mullen, 30 (Credit: HotSpot Media)
Amy Williams, 24, and boyfriend Samuel Mullen, 30 (Credit: HotSpot Media)

Unable to find the string or feel the tampon, Amy thought she didn't have one in, so she applied another.

Amy explains: "I was really drunk at the time and couldn't remember if I already had one in. Plus I couldn't locate it."

Advert

It wasn't until five days later that she noticed an unusual smell down below and checked herself.

Amy explains: "It smelt like death and it wasn't normal.

"I felt something with my fingernail and it dawned on me that there was a tampon inside me," Amy adds, "I was mortified."

It took Amy half an hour to remove the tampon, which was now black and had turned on its side.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Health

Woman Left Fighting For Her Life After Common UTI Gave Her Sepsis

Advert
Amy is mum to three-year-old Archie (Credit: HotSpot Media)
Amy is mum to three-year-old Archie (Credit: HotSpot Media)

"When it came out, I felt an overwhelming rush, like I was going to faint," she explains.

'Britain's Biggest Hoarder' Dies Suddenly Leaving Behind Collection Worth Up To £4m
Life

'Britain's Biggest Hoarder' Dies Suddenly Leaving Behind Collection Worth Up To £4m

published at22 days ago

Though she'd successfully removed the tampon, Amy then began to experience painful cramping and, two days later, while at work, she started to feel nauseous.

A colleague commented that she "looked like she was at death's door" and she was rushed to A&E in Basildon University Hospital, with her temperature at a dangerous 40 degrees.

Advert
Amy contracted toxic shock syndrome and went into septic shock (Credit: HotSpot Media)
Amy contracted toxic shock syndrome and went into septic shock (Credit: HotSpot Media)

Upon arriving at hospital, Amy started vomiting.

"They rushed me to a ward and hooked me up to an antibiotic drip while they took blood tests."

It was only then that doctors realised she could have the syndrome.

"I'd told staff I'd left a tampon in for five days and they looked worried," Amy explains. "I was then informed that my CPR levels were 264, the normal amount was 5."

Amy's organs had, by now, started to fail and she'd gone into septic shock. Shortly afterwards, she was diagnosed with toxic shock syndrome.

"The doctor said to me that if I'd had gone home that day, I wouldn't have woken up."

"I was terrified," Amy says, "I cried to the nurse and asked her if I'd ever see my three-year-old son, Archie, again. She reassured me I was in good hands."

Amy slipped in and out of consciousness for the next four days, while her body was fighting the blood poisoning, but after nearly a week in hospital, she began to improve and was discharged.

However, she continued to be monitored at home and was on a course of antibiotics for ten days, and her periods have been irregular and heavy since then.

The mum was also told that her chances of conceiving could be affected by the toxic shock syndrome, but a year on, Amy is now expecting her second child.

Amy adds: "I couldn't believe a tampon nearly killed me. I'll never use one again and now only use sanitary towels."

"Please, be careful when using tampons. It nearly cost me my life."

Featured Image Credit: HotSpot Media

Topics: Life News, Real, Life, health news, Health

Chosen for YouChosen for You

​Teenagers Praised For Saving A Man About To Throw Himself Under A Train
published at13 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Entertainment

You Can Now Apply To Appear On Married At First Sight

published at3 days ago
Someone Made A 25-Tier Yorkshire Pudding Cake And We Are Drooling

Aneira Davies

Aneira Davies is a freelance lifestyle journalist with a particular interest in interiors and craft. She has written for the Evening Standard, Prima, House Beautiful and Good Housekeeping.