| Last updated
The brave women who stepped up and came forward to accuse Noel Clarke of allegations including sexual harassment, bullying and groping, are being heaped with praise and support online.
On Thursday night (29th April), just days after receiving BAFTA's Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema Award, the Guardian dropped an exposé, in which 20 women came forward to call out the actor, 45, for his problematic patterns of behaviour, which stretched from 2004 until 2019.
Allegations against him come from actresses, producers and interns, and include claims of nonconsensual groping and harassment, covertly taking explicit images and videos and bullying on set.
Harrowingly, two women who had worked with the Bulletproof actor claim to have left the industry after their experiences with him.
Reacting to the breaking news, people flocked to commend the women who spoke out against Clarke - previously lauded for his contributions to diversity within TV and film - and express their disgust and disappointment about how he'd allegedly abused his power.
#MeToo even started trending again on Twitter, with the shock of the news about his actions prompting women to question if we'd really come that far since the downfall of Harvey Weinstein back in 2018.
"I am so upset about this," one person wrote. "I have always rooted for Noel Clarke, for what he stood for and what he contributed. I am so disappointed. Love to the women who shared their truth."
While another wrote: "20 women have come forward..... 20!!! And yet there's still folks on here standing with #noelclarke . The account of one should be enough. This is why it's so hard for women to come forward when abuse happens. Just. Believe. Women."
A third penned: "Sending my thoughts and support to all the strong 20 women that spoke about the hideous actions of Noel Clarke. They're so brave for speaking out and I wish them all a strong recovery from such a traumatic time. Just a final reminder that women are not objects!"
Reacting to the news, another branded the whole article: "A wholly devastating read from start to finish," before adding that they were: "Heartbroken, angry and upset for all the women whose lives will never be the same again."
"I'm also just so very tired," the Twitter user went on. "Tired of those who continue to wreck lives and tired of the enablers who stand by and do nothing".
As a fellow social media user poignantly wrote: "Being a woman is just a continuous lack of surprise and complete numbness to the feeling that news notifications like the Noel Clarke story just won't ever stop."
"Reading the allegations against Noel Clarke its the same themes running through the accounts as with fellow sexual predator Harvey Weinstein including women being forced out of an industry they love because of abuse and the resulting trauma," someone else noted.
Public accusers of Clarke included Clarke's Brotherhood co-producer Gina Powell and Brotherhood actress Jahannah James, while several other women spoke under fake names, to protect their identities.
Clarke has since denied all allegations put to him, apart from a claim that he made inappropriate comments about one of his accusers.
He said in a statement: "In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me. If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.
"I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations."
A statement from BAFTA said: "In light of the allegations of serious misconduct regarding Noel Clarke in The Guardian, BAFTA has taken the decision to suspend his membership and the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award immediately and until further notice."
As well as Bulletproof, Clarke is currently starring in ITV's Viewpoint, which aired last night not long after the exposé dropped.
He also wrote the screenplays for Kidulthood (2006), Adulthood (2008), and Brotherhood (2016), in which he played the character Sam Peel, while also directing the last two movies.
The actor raised to prominence playing Mickey Smith in Doctor Who, first appearing in 2005.
If you have been affected by the content in this article, please visit thesurvivorstrust.org for information and support.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read