Advert

Latest

a day ago
Advert
a day ago
Advert

Most Popular

a day ago
Advert

Woman's Head Swells To Twice Its Size After Hair Dye Allergic Reaction

Woman's Head Swells To Twice Its Size After Hair Dye Allergic Reaction

A woman from Paris has shared photos from when she almost died from a horrific allergic reaction to DIY hair dye, in a bid to warn others.

Nineteen-year-old Estelle has shared the terrifying pictures of herself after her head swelled to almost double its usual size which left her fighting for breath as a result.

The student says she had a reaction to the home hair dye kit which contained a chemical called paraphenylenediamine also known as PPD. The chemical is found in a large number of hair dyes.

Credit: Le Parisien
Credit: Le Parisien
Advert

Estelle told Le Parisien she bought the hair dye at a supermarket before taking it home and applying it according to the instructions.

Although she did reveal that instead of carrying out the patch test 48 hours before as recommended, she just waited half an hour before putting it all over her head.

Estelle knew 'almost immediately' that something was going wrong as her scalp began to tingle and feel irritated.

Her head swelled to twice its size (Credit: Le Parisien)
Her head swelled to twice its size (Credit: Le Parisien)
Advert

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6

She went to see a pharmacist when her scalp began to swell and she was advised to take some antihistamines and apply cream before going to bed, which she did.

However, the following morning she woke up worse than ever and caught sight of her swollen head, that ended up measuring an eye-watering 63cm.

Estelle says she had previously experienced a 'mild reaction' to a different hair dye, which is why she carried out a patch test - albeit a short one - this time round.

Credit: Le Parisien
Credit: Le Parisien
Advert

The student's mum is now hoping Estelle's plight will raise awareness of the dangers of hair dye.

Her mum told the newspaper: "It's true that she didn't follow the instructions word for word, but the warning has to be clearer."

Estelle is also hoping that people will heed her warning, adding: "I almost died, I don't want something similar to happen to other people."

Thankfully, Estelle has been left with no lasting damage, but we don't reckon she'll risk dying her own hair again.

Featured Image Credit: Le Parisien

Topics: Life News, Real

Emma Rosemurgey

Emma Rosemurgey is an NCTJ trained Junior Journalist at Tyla. She graduated from the University of Central Lancashire in Preston and started her career in regional newspapers before joining the team in 2017. Contact her on [email protected]