Firefighters Rescue 30 Stone Pig After Living Life Of Luxury of Chinese Takeaways And Chocolate
A giant pig that weighed a whopping 30 stone thanks to a diet of Chinese takeaways had to be dramatically rescued by firefighters.
Two-year-old Twiglet had lived a "life of luxury" in a first-floor flat in Dinnington, South Yorkshire, sleeping on a mattress with her teddy bear collection, fed junk food and was trained to use a cat litter tray.
But when the female pig's owner died in August this year of an unknown condition, Twiglet had to be rehomed but had grown too large for Elaine's family to move safely.
They called in the RSPCA to help the anxious pig, who then drafted in the help of a fire rescue team to carry the sedated hog out on a stretcher during a three-hour operation.
It had been a Christmas gift for Elaine Edwards, 57, after her grandchildren spotted an advert for a 'micro-pig' on sale for £60 on Facebook.
The five-foot-long porker was initially tiny, but swiftly grew to a whopping 200 kilograms (around 31 stone) after gorging on Chinese takeaways, chocolate and porridge.
Twiglet was Elaine's pride and joy according to her granddaughter Cali Edwards, 20, who lives in Rotherham.
"My nan had always wanted a pig ever since she was a little girl so we bought one for her for £60 off Facebook," Cali said.
"She was absolutely besotted with Twiglet and loved her to death. She was a member of the family."
Cali explained how Twiglet slept on a single bed in her nan's room and was used to the warmth of the centrally heated flat.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"No one was allowed to bad-mouthed Twiglet or make jokes about bacon sandwiches around her. She was my nan's world.
"If you had nothing nice to say about Twiglet, you had to say nothing at all. She got too big to get down the steps and go out."
A joint operation by firefighters, RSPCA inspectors and Green Vets was needed to free the Vietnamese pot-bellied pig.
A panicky Twiglet had to be sedated before being strapped to a bariatric stretcher and then lowered down a set of stairs by six firemen on September 27 this year.
Twiglet has now been living at Peppers Field Equine & Poultry Rehabilitation Centre in Letwell near Rotherham for the last five weeks.
Staff at the centre have had a tough job weaning Twiglet off junk food as the pig struggled to adapt to animal food because they believed it was depressed after Elaine passed away.
However the pounds have dropped off and is now one-and-a-half-stone lighter after being introduced to fruit and veg.
The centre did have plans to rehome Twiglet but say they are now toying with the idea of getting her a pal.
"She definitely lived a life of luxury in the flat, but it wasn't really the right environment for her," Centre trustee Chloe Watson said.
RSPCA inspector Kristy Ludlam said: "This was a first for me - a couple of hundred pound pig is not a common animal to be kept in a first floor flat, for very good reasons!
"We are really happy that we were able to bring everyone together to help Twiglet and her owner's family and grateful to everyone involved, and so pleased that she's doing well in her new home."
Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read