Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

a day ago
Advert

Mum Issues Firework Warning After Finger Blows Off

Mum Issues Firework Warning After Finger Blows Off

A mum has issued a warning to take extra care ahead of Bonfire Night after her finger was blown off by a firework.

Sophie Collins, 22, was a teenager when the accident happened. She lit a firework while sat on the sofa and thought she would be able to extinguish it in time.

The force of the explosion blew most of Sophie's right-hand index finder off and left a gaping wound in her palm that bled profusely, exposing tendons and bones.

Sophie Collins lost her right index finger (Credit: Kennedy)
Sophie Collins lost her right index finger (Credit: Kennedy)
Advert

Sophie said: "I was being a bit cocky thinking I could light it and put it out before it exploded.

"I was just chilling on the couch and flicked the lighter near the charge and it started fizzing so I licked my fingers and touched it to try and put it back out again.

"It obviously didn't so I took it with my right hand and tried to stub it out on the floor and that's when it's gone 'bang'. Within three or four seconds of me lighting the banger at home it went off and blew my finger clean off."

The then-14-year-old from Skelmersdale, West Lancashire, was rushed to hospital and had surgery on her injured hand but surgeons were unable to reattach the finger due to the catastrophic damage caused by the blast.

Sophie Collins aged 14 (Credit: Kennedy)
Sophie Collins aged 14 (Credit: Kennedy)

Luckily, Sophie is left-handed, but she is still living with the effects of the incident. She is unable to grip properly with her right hand and she admits she still suffers anxiety when she hears loud noises.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Life

Mum Issues Urgent Warning After Daughter's Neck Is Trapped By Loose Thread On Bedding

Advert
Mum Issues Warning After Chest Of Drawers Almost Crushes Her Triplets
Life

Mum Issues Warning After Chest Of Drawers Almost Crushes Her Triplets

published at4 months ago

Sophie is now a full-time mum and decided to share her story ahead of Bonfire Night to urge people to be careful around fireworks.

At the time, she bought a box of fireworks for £5 from a 'random lad' in the street. In the immediate aftermath after the blast, Sophie was rushed by ambulance to Ormskirk Hospital in Ormskirk, West Lancashire, before being transferred to Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool, Merseyside.

There, Sophie underwent gruelling eight-hour surgery to her hand and when she came round she was told the devastating news that she had lost most of her index finger. She was also left with a 'swan neck deformity' in another finger, a bending of the joints caused by the blast, and is unable to move it due to tendon and nerve damage. A year after the incident, Sophie was given a prosthetic finger.

Sophie with her prosthetic finger (Credit: Kennedy)
Sophie with her prosthetic finger (Credit: Kennedy)
Advert

Each prosthetic finger lasts around six months, and when it starts to become 'shiny' it means Sophie either needs a new one or the colour topping up to match her skin tone.

Sophie, who still undergoes regular check-ups, is now urging people to exercise extreme caution around fireworks.

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy

Topics: Life, Bonfire Night, Real Life

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Katie Price's Son Harvey Given Chance To Make Rail Station Announcements After Calls From Fans
published atan hour ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Tasty

M&S Is Finally Selling Full-Sized Colin The Caterpillar Faces For £1 Each

published ata day ago

Gregory Robinson

Gregory is a journalist working for Tyla. After graduating with a master's degree in journalism, he has worked for both print and online publications and is particularly interested in TV, (pop) music and lifestyle. He loves Madonna, teen dramas from the 90s and prefers tea over coffee. Get in touch [email protected]