Advert

Latest

a day ago
Advert
a day ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Woman Severely Burned By Hot Water Bottle Urges Others To Be Careful

Woman Severely Burned By Hot Water Bottle Urges Others To Be Careful

A horrified woman was forced to watch her skin burn off after her hot water bottle exploded while tucked into her leggings.

Advert

Sophie Mason, 29, was left writhing in pain after her bottle - filled with water fresh from the steaming hot kettle - broke while against her skin.

She said: "It had been raining outside so we were cold. I got my husband to fill the hot water bottle for me with water from the kettle. I always tuck it down the front of my leggings to keep it secure.

"When I did it split down the seam. 'I can't explain how it felt, I instantly felt sick. 'I shouted to Mark. I was trying to take my clothes off but my hand was burning.

Psst...We have exciting news to share about the future of Pretty 52

Sophie Mason and her husband before her injury Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media
Sophie Mason and her husband before her injury Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media
Advert

"My husband ripped them off and started chucking cold tea towels at me to cool me down. Mark phoned an ambulance and I went into shock as my veins had collapsed."

Sophie was then rushed to hospital, where she had two skin grafts to repair the skin her leg and stomach, which had completely burnt off. Plus, a burn on her hand was so severe that it had left nerves exposed.

"I couldn't feel anything in my stomach or legs," she added. "The whole time I was complaining about the pain in my hand rather than my stomach and my leg.

Sophie received severe burns on her stomach Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media
Sophie received severe burns on her stomach Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media

"The reason for this was the burn on my hand was superficial so the nerves were exposed. They were trying to get my wedding ring off my hand because it had swollen up.

"The nurses were trying to get control all the blisters that were coming up - there must have been 100 blisters on my stomach and legs. They were popping them open and covering me up to protect my me."

Sophie then underwent a three hour operation, covering her burns with skin from the back of her right thigh.

Sophie had to have two skin grafts Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media
Sophie had to have two skin grafts Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media

"They didn't initially know how deep the burns were because they take about two or three days to show how bad they are," she said.

"When I went for a check up they weren't sure whether I needed a skin graft, but I went back on Friday and they said I needed two.

"After the operation I had to stay in hospital as my graft was bleeding and I had to go back last night as well.

Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media
Credit: Sophie Mason/MEN Media

"I'm in a lot of pain and my mobility is very limited. It's had a very big impact and it's going to for a while. It's not going to get better for months."

Reflecting on the incident, Sophie is now urging anybody who uses a water bottle to be aware.

"Listen to your husband when he says don't do it," she said. "He's been telling me for years and I've been saying you're paranoid. I know so many people who've said they do this.

"They always advise not to put boiling water inside in case this happens. I'm just grateful it happened to me and not a child."

Featured Image Credit: Pexels

Topics: Life News, Real

Joanna Freedman

Joanna is a journalist at Pretty 52 who loves writing about all things food, fashion, beauty and lifestyle. She also has a particular interest in women's issues.

 

Next Up

'Riverdale' Season Four Lands On Netflix On October 10th And We're Excited

'Riverdale' Season Four Lands On Netflix On October 10th And We're Excited

11 days ago