Dog Owner Issues Heartbreaking Warning As Pooch Dies After Eating Brownies
Heartbreaking images of a pooch on life support have been shared by her owner after she tragically died from eating chocolate brownies.
Ruby - a Hungarian Vizsla - had pinched two chocolate brownies which contained Xylitol from the kitchen while her owner was out. Xylitol, a form of sweetener, is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure.
Owner Kate Chacksfield was heartbroken when Ruby fell ill 36 hours after consuming the brownies which she had made with the sweetener to reduce her own sugar intake.
Ruby, who was seven-years-old, died in October last year just eight days after falling ill - her owners spent £10,000 trying to save her life.
Kate hopes sharing the tragic story will raise awareness for the dangers of dogs consuming natural sweeteners.
"I only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating," Kate explained. "But while I was out, Ruby managed to get into the container off the side in the kitchen and eaten a couple."
She continued: "She seemed fine at first and it wasn't until a couple of days later she began being violently ill and I took her to the vets.
"I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry.
"We've had her since she was a puppy and I'm completely lost without her."
Of course, chocolate is also poisonous to dogs when eaten in large quantities and should always be kept away from them too.
However, Kate says that her pooch had previously stolen brownies in the past but said her vet had stated small amounts of chocolate aren't too harmful to dogs her size.
Because of this, Kate says wasn't too worried about Ruby this time until she started being sick.
More Like ThisMore Like This
She continued: "Ruby began being violently sick so I rushed her to the vets so sent her home after checking her over.
"But soon after she collapsed and we took her back as soon as possible - it was then they started treating her for rat poison because of her symptoms.
"We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something - it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies."
As Ruby's condition began to deteriorate, she was taken to The Royal Veterinary College in London, but she sadly died of liver failure and a suspected stroke.
It wasn't until after Ruby's death that vets asked if she may have consumed Xylitol which is when Kate realised her health deterioration was linked to the brownies.
She said: "I had absolutely no idea Xylitol was harmful to dogs what so ever and I was heartbroken when they told me and I knew it was too late for Ruby.
"I really, really urge other dog owners to read up on the dangers of Xylitol in dogs and urgently take their pets to the vet if they accidentally consume it as it could be the difference between life and death."
Xylitol sweetener is found in many products such as sugar free sweets and gum, some baking mixes, peanut butters and chocolate.
Kate says it takes just a quarter of a teaspoon to cause liver failure in dogs the size of a Labrador, and even less in smaller breeds.
She said: "We did everything we could to save Ruby - she was so loved and we all miss her dearly.
"We really had hope she would pull through so we were heartbroken when she didn't.
"We'd love to be able to save other dogs from going through what Ruby went through by raising awareness on the dangers of Xylitol for dogs."
If you are concerned your pet has been poisoned, contact Animal Poisonline here
Featured Image Credit: Caters