Tyla

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Woman Stunned After Aldi Branded Candle Explodes Into Chunks Of Glass

Kimberley Bond

Published 
| Last updated 

Woman Stunned After Aldi Branded Candle Explodes Into Chunks Of Glass

Featured Image Credit: Facebook: Cathy Lewis-Clugston

Aldi does loads of fantastic products and dupes of more expensive goods at very reasonable prices.

But some people are saying their candles are worth giving a miss.

One shopper was left stunned when she lit her Aldi-branded candle during a cosy night in - only for it to "explode," leaving shards of glass and hot wax in her living room.

Cathy Lewis-Clugston, from Matlock, Derbyshire, had lit the scented Aldi Black Forest Gateau candle one night.

The Black Forest Gateau candle is a dupe for the popular Yankee Candles (Credit: Aldi)
The Black Forest Gateau candle is a dupe for the popular Yankee Candles (Credit: Aldi)

She had chosen to buy the product as a cheap alternative to the Yankee Candle brand - which can retail for over £23.99 in some stores.

At £3.99, and boasting a "whopping 170 hours burn time," the budget supermarket's alternative is likely to be popular.

But Cathy has warned people against buying the candle when her Aldi offering exploded.

After having lit several candles and left them burning, Cathy was shocked when she heard a loud bang - seeing her pet cat flee the room.

She saw the candle had gone out, but upon closer inspection, Cathy saw the candle's glass jar had shattered, leaving glass and hot wax on her furniture.

The candle 'exploded' while it was lit (Credit: Facebook/Cathy Lewis-Clugston)
The candle 'exploded' while it was lit (Credit: Facebook/Cathy Lewis-Clugston)

"I went over and there were large chunks of glass scattered about on the coffee table," she told the Sheffield Star.

"I had the candle on a wicker mat, and there was wax all over the place. I thought, 'It's exploded.'

"I am somebody who likes to burn scented candles, and I've burned them for years and years, quite often Yankee ones, but other ones as well. Never once has this happened. This is the only time."

Cathy and her cat were left unharmed from the incident, but Cathy says this more due to luck than anything else.

"It was just lucky I wasn't sitting next to it, or there weren't kids or anyone else around," she said.

Candles are popular at this time of year (Credit: Unsplash)
Candles are popular at this time of year (Credit: Unsplash)

"I am a retired police officer. I can say I've been to house fires in my job that have been caused by far less than things like that.

"After I realised what it was, I was really quite angry. It clearly isn't fit for purpose if it can't withstand the heat from the flame, and it shouldn't be sold."

Upon looking on social media, Cathy saw others had complained of a similar problem.

Emily Redfearn wrote on Twitter: "Hey @AldiUK , we've just had one of your candles set fire and explode in our bedroom. We lit the candle around 4 hours before this. Thankfully we both noticed it, but how has this passed safety tests? The outcome could have been a lot worse than the burn marks on our furniture."

In July this year, Maisie Sutton shared a similar experience with the Aldi Summer Sands candle, warning fellow Twitter users not to buy the candle after it had exploded after being lit for only 10 minutes.

A spokesperson for Aldi told Tyla: "We are sorry to hear about Ms Lewis-Clugston's experience. Candles should always be used in accordance with the safety instructions provided, including ensuring the correct distance between multiple candles."

Topics: Aldi, Home, News, Candles

Kimberley Bond
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Queen’s cause of death was old age, death certificate confirms

20 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

You can actually book the Hocus Pocus cottage on Airbnb

a day ago