Advert

Latest

9 hours ago
Advert
13 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Woman Stunned After Aldi Branded Candle Explodes Into Chunks Of Glass

Woman Stunned After Aldi Branded Candle Explodes Into Chunks Of Glass

Aldi does loads of fantastic products and dupes of more expensive goods at very reasonable prices.

But some people are saying their candles are worth giving a miss.

One shopper was left stunned when she lit her Aldi-branded candle during a cosy night in - only for it to "explode," leaving shards of glass and hot wax in her living room.

Cathy Lewis-Clugston, from Matlock, Derbyshire, had lit the scented Aldi Black Forest Gateau candle one night.

Advert
The Black Forest Gateau candle is a dupe for the popular Yankee Candles (Credit: Aldi)
The Black Forest Gateau candle is a dupe for the popular Yankee Candles (Credit: Aldi)

She had chosen to buy the product as a cheap alternative to the Yankee Candle brand - which can retail for over £23.99 in some stores.

At £3.99, and boasting a "whopping 170 hours burn time," the budget supermarket's alternative is likely to be popular.

But Cathy has warned people against buying the candle when her Aldi offering exploded.

Advert

After having lit several candles and left them burning, Cathy was shocked when she heard a loud bang - seeing her pet cat flee the room.

She saw the candle had gone out, but upon closer inspection, Cathy saw the candle's glass jar had shattered, leaving glass and hot wax on her furniture.

The candle 'exploded' while it was lit (Credit: Facebook/Cathy Lewis-Clugston)
The candle 'exploded' while it was lit (Credit: Facebook/Cathy Lewis-Clugston)

"I went over and there were large chunks of glass scattered about on the coffee table," she told the Sheffield Star.

Advert

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Style

Aldi Is Selling An Inflatable Spa Pool For Your Garden

"I had the candle on a wicker mat, and there was wax all over the place. I thought, 'It's exploded.'

"I am somebody who likes to burn scented candles, and I've burned them for years and years, quite often Yankee ones, but other ones as well. Never once has this happened. This is the only time."

A Candle Which Smells Exactly Like Aero Chocolate Is Launching
Style

A Candle Which Smells Exactly Like Aero Chocolate Is Launching

published at4 months ago

Cathy and her cat were left unharmed from the incident, but Cathy says this more due to luck than anything else.

"It was just lucky I wasn't sitting next to it, or there weren't kids or anyone else around," she said.

Advert
Candles are popular at this time of year (Credit: Unsplash)
Candles are popular at this time of year (Credit: Unsplash)

"I am a retired police officer. I can say I've been to house fires in my job that have been caused by far less than things like that.

"After I realised what it was, I was really quite angry. It clearly isn't fit for purpose if it can't withstand the heat from the flame, and it shouldn't be sold."

Upon looking on social media, Cathy saw others had complained of a similar problem.

Advert

Emily Redfearn wrote on Twitter: "Hey @AldiUK , we've just had one of your candles set fire and explode in our bedroom. We lit the candle around 4 hours before this. Thankfully we both noticed it, but how has this passed safety tests? The outcome could have been a lot worse than the burn marks on our furniture."

In July this year, Maisie Sutton shared a similar experience with the Aldi Summer Sands candle, warning fellow Twitter users not to buy the candle after it had exploded after being lit for only 10 minutes.

A spokesperson for Aldi told Tyla: "We are sorry to hear about Ms Lewis-Clugston's experience. Candles should always be used in accordance with the safety instructions provided, including ensuring the correct distance between multiple candles."

Featured Image Credit: Facebook: Cathy Lewis-Clugston

Topics: Aldi, Home, News, Candles

Chosen for YouChosen for You

The Handmaid's Tale Season 4 Trailer Is Finally Here
published at9 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Tasty

M&M Launches Choco Eggs In Time For Easter

published at3 days ago

Kimberley Bond

Kim is a journalist at Tyla, and has previously worked at the Evening Standard, Radio Times as well as several national newspapers. A showbiz obsessive and a television fanatic, Kim is particularly interested in celebrity gossip, A-list events and the latest releases on either the big or small screen. Contact her at [email protected]