To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Woman Nearly Blinded And Suffers Horrific Facial Burns After Microwaved Eggs Explode In Her Face

Woman Nearly Blinded And Suffers Horrific Facial Burns After Microwaved Eggs Explode In Her Face

Bethany Ross was following a recipe she'd read online which said she could boil eggs in the microwave.

Ciara Sheppard

Ciara Sheppard

You'd probably consider making a casual bit of breakfast one of the most low risk parts of your day - but tell that to Bethany Rosser who ended up in hospital after taking on the morning task.

The 22-year-old was left with horrific facial burns and nearly blinded in one eye after two eggs she boiled in the microwave exploded in her face.


Bethany, who works in insurance, was following instructions she read online which said it was safe to boil eggs in the kitchen appliance provided they were put in salt water.

Consulting the instructions by cooking website Delish, the insurer put the eggs in for six minutes at 600W and took them out to cool.

However when she looked in the jug to check the two eggs were ready, they burst with a huge bang burning the right side of her face.


Bethany quickly ran cold water over her face and called 999, but says she could already feel her skin peeling off.

The woman from Redditch, Worcestershire, was raced to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, where she was treated for her burns.

Bethany, who still doesn't know the extent of damage to her right eye as it is swelled shut, says she feels "okay but nervous as I'm not sure if I will be able to see out of that eye when the swelling goes down."

Doctors at the hospital, where she remains, says it's likely she will suffer discoloration on her face.


"The accident yesterday was the worst thing that's happened to me so far. It was without doubt the worst day of my life to date," said Bethany.

"And to think the damage is to my face and my eye. The main focus of any body is their face, and now I risk scars and potentially damaged vision - over eggs."


On the recipe website Delish, they say adding salt is "a CRUCIAL step."

It goes on: "Salt ensures that the egg won't explode, and though it might sound harmless, exploding eggs ARE VERY BAD. We're talking volcanic hot egg pieces and sharp bits of shell flying everywhere. Skip the salt at your own risk!"

Bethany, who has had a family members experience similar problems with exploding eggs, said: "It's very clearly dangerous as numerous people have had the same explosion happen from eggs in the microwave. I honestly wouldn't risk that.

"That's why I'm so annoyed at Delish, because it literally says if you do this then it won't happen. Well, I did it - and it still happened."

Take heed people and keep your eggs in the sauce pan.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: Cooking, Life News, Life