TikTok Video Warns Parents Not To Leave Blanket In Their Baby’s Reach When Sleeping
The footage, found on the Safe Sleep For Babies TikTok page, advises that parents should stick to the ABC rule when their little one is sleeping - which stands for alone, back and crib.
Essentially, the little ones should always be without blankets and toys in the cot, should be sleeping on their backs rather than their side or front, and should be in a safe and secure crib.
In a video, which claims to show real footage filmed on a baby monitor, and which has now amassed more than 2 million views, a baby can be seen lying in its crib with a loose blanket nearby.
Next thing you know, the baby appears to pull the blanket so it is covering its face, and can then be seen struggling to get it off again.
Luckily, the child's parents soon rushed in the remove it, but the footage has nonetheless prompted a strong reaction online.
"Lesson learned," wrote one parent in the comments.
While another penned: "I've seen this before. So scary".
The page regularly shares educational videos on how to ensure your child is safely sleeping while they are under 12 months old.
More Like ThisMore Like This
The NHS advise that parents should put a baby's cot in the same room as them for the first six months of their life.
It adds that the baby should be placed down with their head uncovered and their blanket below their shoulders.
To ensure this, their feet should be at the bottom of the cot to stop them wriggling down.
"Babies whose heads are covered with bedding are at an increased risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)," it writes.
"To prevent your baby wriggling down under the covers, place them in the "feet to foot" position. This means their feet are at the end of the crib, cot or Moses basket."
The Lullaby Trust - which works to prevent SIDS deaths - concurs: "There is evidence to suggest that babies are at higher risk of SIDS if they have their heads covered and some items added to a cot may increase the risk of head-covering.
"Unnecessary items in a baby's cot can also increase the risk of accidents."
You can read more here.
Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read