Advert

Latest

12 hours ago
Advert
12 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

2 days ago
Advert

Woman Issues Urgent Warning After Her E-Cigarette Charger Set Her House On Fire

Woman Issues Urgent Warning After Her E-Cigarette Charger Set Her House On Fire

A mum-of-four whose E-cig charger set her house on fire has issued an urgent warning to fellow vapers.

Jennifer Brown, 35, put her E-cig on to charge as usual last month, only to hear an explosive bang coming from her daughter's bedroom just 20 minutes later.

Her partner, Scot Washington, 34, who works as a security guard, went to investigate and found the room full of black smoke and a fire burning a hole in the carpet.

Mum-of-four Jennifer heard a loud bang after putting her e-cig on charge (Credit: Caters)
Mum-of-four Jennifer heard a loud bang after putting her e-cig on charge (Credit: Caters)
Advert

The couple's three children - Claramae, 15, Mia, 12, Hayden 10, and Harley, three - were swiftly evacuated while Scot put out the fire using bottles of water kept by his bedside.

The family, who live in Crewe, Cheshire, believe that had they woken up 20 minutes later, the situation could have been a lot worse.

The stay at home mum said: "It's the only house fire I've seen but it was breath-taking. If it had happened any earlier, I wouldn't have my three girls.

"Harley is still having night terrors, she sleeps with us now."

Advert
The fire brigade were called to the house (Credit: Caters)
The fire brigade were called to the house (Credit: Caters)

Jennifer explained that at first, the couple thought the noise was a car backfiring in the street.

"We'd only just woken up and gone downstairs to eat breakfast," she said. "Me and the four kids heard a loud bang like when you have a fizzy drink and the gas pops.

"Scot thought it was a car outside at first but after checking, he shouted there was a fire and we just got out of there."

Advert

Luckily, there was plenty of water immediately on hand to douse the flames with.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Woman Issues Warning After Candles Set Her Bath Tub On Fire

Jennifer said: "Scot keeps around ten bottles of water next to the bed so he used those to put the fire out.

The e-cig charger had burnt a hole in the carpet and filled the room with smoke (Credit: Caters)
The e-cig charger had burnt a hole in the carpet and filled the room with smoke (Credit: Caters)

"Luckily he's drilled it into them what to do if there is a fire so they knew to just get themselves out."

Advert

Both Scot and Jennifer were taken to hospital after Scot started throwing up and complained of dizziness.

Jennifer said: "Scot was coughing and coughing.

"Then he said he didn't feel well so when he started throwing up we went to A&E and had some tests and luckily they all came back fine but he's still suffering now and can't get rid of the pain in one of his lungs."

Now Jennifer has urged other vapers to read their instruction manuals carefully and make sure they're using the correct charger.

Advert

She said: "There will be thousands of people charging their E-cigs.

Damage caused by the fire (Credit: Caters)
Damage caused by the fire (Credit: Caters)

"You've got to make sure you've got the right charger because we thought we did.

"We searched for months to find the right one and made and was told in the shop to make sure we don't use a phone charger as the wattage is different.

"Listen to what the people in the shop tell you and do your research. It could literally happen to anyone.

"We don't have any plugs switched on at night anymore. We switch them off as soon as we're done with them."

Featured Image Credit: Caters

Topics: Life News, Mum

Mary-Jane Wiltsher

Mary-Jane Wiltsher is a freelance lifestyle and culture journalist. Elsewhere she writes for Stylist, Euronews, PHOENIX and What We Seee.