Advert

Latest

2 days ago
Advert
3 days ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Woman Left With Chemical Burns After Bleaching Her Hair

Woman Left With Chemical Burns After Bleaching Her Hair

A young woman who sustained chemical burns while having her hair professionally bleached at a salon has released graphic images of her injuries.

Izi Corner, 25, has told of how a trip to the salon left her a 4cm hole in her scalp leading her get a hair transplant.

Advert

Back in 2016, the patisserie student decided to switch up her brunette locks so booked an appointment at her local salon in Manchester to have her hair bleached and died pink.

Izi fancied a switch up from her normal brunette locks, so booked a trip to the salon (Credit: PA Media)
Izi fancied a switch up from her normal brunette locks, so booked a trip to the salon (Credit: PA Media)

"It was applied, then I was put under a heat lamp. After about 10 to 15 minutes, I started feeling this burning pain at the top of my head.

"It was at the back of my head, so I couldn't see it and I kept being reassured that everything was fine.

"So, I carried on, got the pink put in, had my hair styled and went to pay.

Advert
Despite feeling a burning sensation at the salon, Izi was pleased with her new pink hair (Credit: PA Media)
Despite feeling a burning sensation at the salon, Izi was pleased with her new pink hair (Credit: PA Media)

It was originally supposed to be in the £70 bracket, but they ended up charging me just £35, which they said was a goodwill gesture to make up for the distress."

Izi went home and thought little more of her appointment, until the same patch on her head began to burn, weep, and the hair began clumping together.

Days later, a clump of Izi's scalp fell off as her mum bathed her head (Credit: PA Media)
Days later, a clump of Izi's scalp fell off as her mum bathed her head (Credit: PA Media)

The woman had plans in Nottingham that weekend for a friends' birthday, so she left her hair and hoped the discomfort would subside.

"In Nottingham, I didn't do anything to my hair just in case - didn't wash or style it," she said.

"Then, when I got home on Sunday, I finally washed it and all the pink dye came right out."

Later that evening, Izi's pain started again - but this time worse.

She continued: "I thought that was strange and then the pain started again. It was so severe that I was taking ibuprofen every four hours and waking up in the night when it wore off.

"My hair kept getting stuck to the scab that had formed, so my mum said for me to wash my hair and she'd gently comb it all out when it was wet.

"As soon as she did, though, the scab literally came off in her hand and we saw this infected wound underneath."

The area measured 4cm across (Credit: PA Media)
The area measured 4cm across (Credit: PA Media)

Immediately, Izi headed to the minor injuries unit at Trafford General Hospital, where it was confirmed she had suffered a chemical burn.

She was given antibiotics but was warned the damage to her follicles was so bad she'd unlikely see her hair regrow on the wound side.

"When I heard, at first it was such a shock. I felt numb, it didn't seem to make any sense to me," she continued. "When it sank in I felt so down, I told my sisters, 'When it's healed over I'm just going to shave all my hair off.'"

Izi was taken to hospital where she was given antibiotics and her wound was dressed (Credit: PA Media)
Izi was taken to hospital where she was given antibiotics and her wound was dressed (Credit: PA Media)

"In my opinion, the chemical burn happened because the heat lamp was too close to my head and it sparked a reaction in the bleach."

Izi was put in touch with the Farjo Hair Institute, who deal with hair and scalp treatments.

They explained she'd need a maximum of three procedures costing £2,500 each time.

Izi had her first treatment in October 2019 with money she received in compensation from the incident.

She must now wait a year to see how the hair regrows and will later discuss if she needs a second or third procedure.

She concluded: "I have short hair anyway, so luckily it would naturally fall over the bald patch, but there were quite a few times when people would point it out to me and ask what it was, which made me self-conscious."

"I know people have it far worse, but for your hair to suddenly fall out like that was really quite a shock, and it shouldn't have happened."

Featured Image Credit: PA Media

Topics: Life News, Beauty, Life, Real Life

Ciara Sheppard

Ciara is a freelance writer working for Tyla. After graduating with an English Lit and Media degree from the University of Sussex, Ciara held jobs at GLAMOUR and Yahoo Style before packing up for a solo travelling trip around South America. In between writing, Ciara daydreams of being back on the Copacabana drinking caipirinhas.

 

Next Up

Everyone Is Branding 'Dream/Killler' As The 'Best Documentary They've Ever Watched'

Everyone Is Branding 'Dream/Killler' As The 'Best Documentary They've Ever Watched'

18 days ago