Baby Zebra Dies After Being Spooked By Fireworks On Bonfire Night
It is believed that seven-month-old Hope, who was living at Noah's Ark Zoo Farm near Bristol, had been startled by the loud bangs from several local displays held on Wednesday 4th November.
The fireworks caused such a fright that Hope (who was named to symbolise positivity during the pandemic) bolted and collided with the boundary of her enclosure.
The post-mortem has revealed that the sudden impact caused her immediate death.
Staff at the zoo are utterly devastated by the news, with Managing Director Larry Bush commenting: "We're feeling devastated by the loss of our young zebra Hope. She was so full of energy and life and she was a very healthy young zebra.
"It is such a tragedy that she has lost her life, seemingly as a result of fireworks being set off at nearby events which were intended as a celebration.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"We know this was not the intention of local organisers and people letting off fireworks but it does demonstrate in a tragic way the impact that fireworks can have on animals - whether this be zebras, horses, native wildlife or pets in our homes."
Meanwhile Jayne Gibbins, a senior keeper at the zoo added: "Her birth was a real high point for us in amongst the challenges of having to close the zoo for three months in support of the national lockdown and we are all feeling her loss greatly."
The zoo explained they are determined that something positive come out of the traumatic incident. A post on their website explains: "We feel it is so important that people are aware of what has happened - we hope people will change their views about fireworks and become much more aware of the impact they can have on animals.
"We would like to use this tragic event as an impetus for change and we really hope that people will now think hard and adopt alternative arrangements like silent fireworks or other more animal-friendly options for their bonfire night celebrations."
Yesterday, we told you about three pet budgies who were tragically killed after having seizures during a firework display.
Distraught owner Abbie Sisson, 28, from Derbyshire, is now calling for a ban on fireworks following the incident, which also caused her pet Chihuahua to have a seizure, too.
You can read more about the incident here.
Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read