To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Woman Almost Blinded After Lash Extensions Were Glued Inside Her Eye

Woman Almost Blinded After Lash Extensions Were Glued Inside Her Eye

The teen says doctors told her she was lucky not to lose her sight.

Mary-Jane Wiltsher

Mary-Jane Wiltsher

From overplucked brows to dodgy highlights, most of us have had our fair share of beauty disasters - but luckily, these don't result in a trip to the hospital.

But that's what happened to one unlucky teen from Brentwood, Essex, when a beauty therapist botched her eyelash extension treatment. Just check out the video:

Horse-riding teacher Lainey Palmer, 19, says she was left in agony when a trainee lash technician accidentally glued false lashes to the inside of her eye, leaving her eyes inflamed and her real lashes damaged beyond repair.

According to the unhappy teen, the treatment - which happened in October last year - felt like "being scratched with needles" and doctors told her she was lucky she didn't permanently lose her sight.

Lainey says she spotted an ad on Facebook, which said that a trainee was looking for a volunteer model to trial classic eyelash treatments on.

When she got home, Lainey realised the lashes were glued to her waterline (

"I got there and had a patch test and had a reaction to the glue so they said they would use another glue, but I'm not confident they did because it was stinging," said Lainey.

"She was pinching my eyes really hard and I said it was really hurting me. I had to tell her to stop three times because it was so painful."

Eventually, the treatment became so painful that Lainey asked the technician to stop, and the salon's management offered to remove the lashes, but the Essex teen was in such agony that she declined.

Lainey said the treatment felt like
Lainey said the treatment felt like

"At that point I didn't want anyone else touching my eyes, I was in that much pain," explains Lainey. "So I said I'd go home and come back the next day when they'd calmed down."

When she got home, the horse riding teacher was horrified to find her lashes were glued to her waterline.

"I knew it wasn't right. I went to the bathroom when I got home to try and wash them off and I could see they were stuck to the inside of my eye. My eyes felt like they were being scratched with little needles. I wouldn't wish it on anyone."

Lainey called the NHS 111 line and was advised to go straight to hospital, where her eyes were washed out to get rid of any remaining glue.

Lainey's eyes were left swollen and inflamed by the treatment (

Doctors told her she was lucky her eyeballs were only scratched and that her eyesight wasn't damaged permanently, as she could have been blinded.

Lainey was discharged but she needed two days off work to recover.

After hours of trying to gently massage the lashes off, the teen says she eventually pulled them from her waterline.

"The next day, they blew up like balloons," said Lainey. "I was in so much pain. I haven't had eyelashes on since and I used to have them on all the time."

"My eyes are still very sensitive now. Where my eyelashes, sit, when it's cold or windy, gets really sore. They still haven't grown back properly."

The Essex teen is now warning of the dangers of cut-price beauty treatments (

The teen is now warning people of the dangers of cut-price beauty treatments and has vowed to never try and bag a freebie again.

"When I went to the doctors and they told me I was lucky to keep my eyesight I was so shocked. I will never go with a trainee again and I have told people close to me to never go with a trainee."

The salon has been approached for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Caters

Topics: Hair and Beauty, Life News