To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Stranded Bride Rescued By Officers After Wedding Car Broke Down

Stranded Bride Rescued By Officers After Wedding Car Broke Down

Lydia made it to the church on time thanks to one hero officer!

A bride has recalled the moment she was rescued by police after breaking down on the way to her wedding.

Lydia Evans-Hughes, 29, from North Wales, was on the way to her ceremony when the vintage car she was travelling in broke down on a busy dual carriageway.

She had been on her way to the venue with parents Yvette and Alan Fletcher when the vehicle came to a halt.

Luckily, traffic officers came to the rescue, with Inspector Matt Geddes ensuring she arrived at the church in time.

Lydia's vintage car broke down on the dual carriageway (

Lydia said: "I was staying at the reception venue the night before.

"But when the car pulled off from there it was fine for the first five miles – then it just gave up the ghost.

"I was worried I'd have to climb over the crash barrier and be left stood at the side of the road.

"They saw it was a wedding car and offered us a lift. That was the first time in the day that I had tears of relief."

Thanks to Inspector Geddes, Lydia and partner Tidur Evans-Hughes, 31, were then able to say 'I do' in front of family and friends at St Mary's Church in Eccleston, Cheshire.

Lydia added: "He asked how much of an entrance we wanted to make and my dad said a big one so he put on the blues and twos.

"Because of how fast it all happened and how promptly they turned up I wasn't very late at all – you couldn't have planned it better.

"I'm just incredibly happy. All in all it did go brilliantly."

Lydia made it to the church on time thanks to Inspector Geddes (

The happy couple had already had their wedding delayed twice due to the Covid pandemic and were hoping it would be third time lucky.

Lydia added: "We were due to get married in June last year but it was delayed because of Covid, then in May this year but that got pushed back too.

"The fact we were finally able to have our day and everyone was able to be there is just priceless. It was such a lovely ending.

"The most incredible and sincere thanks to the police. Without them what would we have done?

"I hope it will be smooth sailing now and we can settle down and enjoy married life."

Lydia was barely late after the rescue mission (

Inspector Geddes, meanwhile, said: “I was glad to have been of help.

"The slightly unusual arrival brought about some smiles following what must have been a stressful situation, being stuck at the side of a busy A55 is not nice at the best of times.

"The bride looked beautiful, the sun was shining and she was only a little late. I hope the couple have a wonderful day and a long and happy life together.”

Police also posted about the incident on Twitter, including a photo showing the stranded bridal party at the side of the road.

Traffic Wales wrote: “The course of true love never did run smooth…

"Our traffic officers arrived on scene this afternoon to help assist a bride in a broken down vehicle!

“We removed the vehicle while @NWPolice gave her a lift to the ceremony. Wishing the bride and groom all the best!”

Well done to Inspector Geddes for saving the day (

Huge congratulations to Lydia and Tidur - and well done to Inspector Geddes for saving the day!

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: Life, Wedding, Real Life