Advert

Latest

4 hours ago
Advert
4 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

2 days ago
Advert

Woman Has To Have Finger Amputated After Manicure Accident Leaves Her Infected

Woman Has To Have Finger Amputated After Manicure Accident Leaves Her Infected

*Warning: This article contains graphic imagery*

A woman was forced to have part of her finger amputated after a manicure left her with a life-threatening infection.

Pub manager Jose Jackson nearly lost her 'whole arm' after contracting a staph infection following her mani.

Advert

And while doctors thankfully prevented the worst case scenario, she still had to get the top of her index finger surgically removed.

The infection - which develops from the bacteria staphylococcus entering the skin through a cut - occurred after Jose was accidentally 'jabbed' in the cuticle while she got a set of acrylic nails in December 2017.

While Jose was too polite to say anything at the time, it was discovered during a health inspection that the salon's tools had not been cleaned properly between customers.

Jose Jackson said the amputation has changed her life (Credit:SWNS)
Jose Jackson said the amputation has changed her life (Credit:SWNS)
Advert

The infection can be treated with antibiotics when caught early, but unfortunately neither Jose or her doctor noticed it straight way.

When the swelling eventually caught her attention, she booked herself an appointment with the GP to get things checked out.

But the antibiotics the doctor prescribed her didn't help, and her finger continued to get worse.

When her finger went 'purple' and started 'weeping' puss, Jose's doctor told her she needed to go to the hospital to get it checked over.

Advert

"I was in absolute agony and I thought: 'this can't be right, it's not getting better,'" Jose recalled.

"The GP peeled off the gauze and I was screaming in pain. He was said: 'I'm so sorry Ms Jackson, go to the hospital right now.'"

Jose had the tip of her finger removed (Credit: SWNS)
Jose had the tip of her finger removed (Credit: SWNS)

And it's a good job she did, as when doctors removed the bandage she'd wrapped the digit in, Jose claims her finger was so misshapen, it looked like a 'jagged mountain range'.

Advert

Forced to act fast, doctors told Jose they had no choice but to amputate the affected area to remove the infection, leaving her with half a finger.

However, they added it could have been much worse, and if they had not done so the infection may have caused her to lose her whole arm.

She underwent two one-hour ops in January 2018 - the second removing slightly more of the finger to make absolutely sure the infection wouldn't spread - and thankfully they were a success.

Although she has struggled, Jose's learning to adjust to life with one less digit, and she is hoping to raise awareness for the importance of cleanliness in nail bars.

Advert

She said: "Losing my finger has completely changed my life. When I got to hospital, they bought medical students in because they'd never seen an infection so bad.

The infection could have resulted in Jose losing her arm (Credit: SWNS)
The infection could have resulted in Jose losing her arm (Credit: SWNS)

"I wanted to treat myself to a manicure so I felt nice, but it ended up ruining my life and costing me a finger.

"Without that finger I can't grip or do up buttons - it's changed the way I do everything. I'm struggled to do anything, I couldn't grip a pen or my toothbrush.

"I couldn't open cans, do up buttons and I couldn't play my guitar anymore.

"I was constantly dropping things - you don't realise how much you use that finger until it's gone."

It was only when Jose contacted a health inspector six weeks after surgery that she was able to prove they were responsible.

Jose got compensation for the injury (Credit: SWNS)
Jose got compensation for the injury (Credit: SWNS)

She then hired a solicitor who helped her seek compensation against the facility, ending up with a five figure payout.

Jose said: "It doesn't feel like a win... it doesn't bring my finger back.

"I want to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else but highlighting the importance of cleanliness in these places.

"I'd love to get hygiene ratings into nail bars, similar to the ones they have in restaurants.

"That way people can be aware and no one has to go through what I did."

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: Life News, Real, Healthy, Health

Joanna Freedman

Joanna is a journalist at Tyla with a particular interest in highlighting women's issues and telling inspiring first person stories. She's also their resident foodie, and loves covering exciting new beauty launches, too. Contact her at [email protected]

 

Next Up

'Tiger King' Fans Can't Get Over John Finlay's Glow Up

'Tiger King' Fans Can't Get Over John Finlay's Glow Up

4 months ago