Woman Issues Urgent Warning As Pal Is Rushed To Hospital After Biting His Nails
*WARNING: Graphic Content*
A woman has issued an urgent health warning online as her friend was forced to make a hospital dash after biting his nails.
The Facebook user, who Tyla has chosen not to name, posted a string of snaps of her pal's finger - which had swollen up and turned purple and yellow as a result of a deadly infection.
The now private Facebook post, which has since been shared by many others, warned: "A message to nail biters out there STOP!!!
"Someone I know who prefers to remain nameless who bites their nails ended up having to get rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary today for emergency surgery because they had bitten their nails down too far and had got an infection in the finger.
"This person had been to two chemists and spoken to two separate pharmacists over the past few days who had advised to use magnesium sulphate and keep it covered [but] it still got worse"
The woman also shared pictures of her friend's finger with a huge, painful looking blister on it, warning that the infection could have been fatal if he hadn't come into hospital.
She added that doctors warned the man the infection could have travelled up his arm, and ultimately killed him if he hadn't sought help.
"When we finally went to the A&E this morning was told if left much longer it could have been fatal as the infection was travelling up the arm hence the emergency surgery!," she wrote. "So please please stop biting your nails!!"
Following the surgery, the man was put on an antibiotic drip for a few days, and unfortunately lost the nail in his infected finger.
It is currently uncertain whether it will ever grow back.
While it's largely unknown, paronychia, or a quickly developing infection around the nail, is often caused by biting.
According to Heathline.com, symptoms of the infection can include redness around the nail, tenderness of the skin, changes in the colour, texture or shape of the nail and blisters.
In more serious cases (such as the one above) this can also cause detachment of the nail, and, if the infection spreads untreated, even result in fatality.
The good news is, as the Facebook user warns, paronychia is easily preventable.
The health website advises: "Good hygiene is important for preventing paronychia. Keep your hands and feet clean to prevent bacteria from getting between your nails and skin.
"Avoiding trauma caused by biting, picking, manicures, or pedicures can also help you prevent acute infections."
Featured Image Credit: Pexels