Advert

Latest

7 hours ago
Advert
8 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

9 hours ago
Advert

Woman Left With Third Degree Burns After Dropping Common Nail Glue On Her Leg

Woman Left With Third Degree Burns After Dropping Common Nail Glue On Her Leg

*Warning: graphic content*

A woman has been left with second and third degree burns after spilling £1.50 nail glue on her leg and now fears she will be "scarred for life".

Aaleyah Kent, 21, was left screaming in agony after accidentally knocking the adhesive from Primark, which she had used before without incident, off her coffee table.

Advert

The complaints handler, from Nuneaton, Warwickshire, has claimed she was forced to cut off her cotton leggings as the glue burned through the fabric and left her skin "sizzling".

Aaleyah has been left with two wounds, one which was the size of a penny, the other 2in in diameter.

She said: "My left calf was sizzling and there was smoke everywhere. The material on the legging immediately melted away. My leg started to blister instantly. The glue was burning and eating away at my skin. It was instant pain."

Prior to the incident, Aaleyah had been regularly using nail glue from Primark's PS beauty range for years, without experiencing any problems.

Advert
Aaleyah Kent, 21, was left screaming in agony after accidentally knocking the adhesive from Primark (Credit: PA)
Aaleyah Kent, 21, was left screaming in agony after accidentally knocking the adhesive from Primark (Credit: PA)

She said: "I've got some on my hands before. It's usually dried and can just be peeled off. It's never burned like that.

"I bought this particular bottle of glue in June, having just got back from holiday in Spain, as my nails looked atrocious."

She added: "I was holding the bottle in my hand and as I went to put it down on the table it fell and spilled on to it, then on to my sofa and my left legging, which it burned straight through.

Advert

"But it was strange, because it burned through some of material, yet another patch where it had spilled was fine and didn't burn through.

The complaints handler claimed the glue left her left calf sizzling (Credit: PA)
The complaints handler claimed the glue left her left calf sizzling (Credit: PA)

"It went all over the sofa and the sofa started smoking, too. There is now a big hard patch where it spilled. I had to cut my leggings off, because they were sticking to the burn and then used a cold compress on the wound before bandaging it."

However, that wasn't the end of Aaleyah's plight as she was forced to visit A&E several days later when the wounds re-opened and began to bleed and leak pus.

Advert

It was only then she was told by the medical team that she had in fact suffered second and third-degree burns, which needed to be redressed every week for several months.

In the six months since the incident, Aaleyah said she was forced to visit George Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton twice after her wounds became infected, leaving her left leg swollen to twice its size.

She has been left with two wounds, one which was the size of a penny, the other two inches by two inches (Credit: PA)
She has been left with two wounds, one which was the size of a penny, the other two inches by two inches (Credit: PA)

Six months on, the Midlands native is still using a cold compress on her leg and fears she may end up being "scarred for life" due to the nail glue.

Advert

Aaleyah said: "The doctors at the hospital did discuss whether I would need a skin graft, but because the wound is on the surface and relatively small I don't think I will have to.

"I still wear a dressing, because if I don't it will stick to my clothing. And I can't wear jeans because I can feel the pressure on it.

"I'm still having regular check-ups at the doctors, too, because it does not seem to be going away and I have a special silver and copper dressing, which is meant to help with third degree burns," she continued.

Aaleyah had been regularly using nail glue from their PS range for years, without experiencing any problems (Credit: PA)
Aaleyah had been regularly using nail glue from their PS range for years, without experiencing any problems (Credit: PA)

"The chemicals have caused the glue to eat away at my skin. And if I have a bath, I have to stick my leg out so it doesn't get wet because if it does it will go straight back to be infected, the doctors said."

Aaleyah said she complained to Primark by filling in a form online a few weeks after the incident, but did not receive a response.

However, a spokesman for Primark said they had not received a complaint from Aaleyah, They said: "We were very sorry to learn of this customer's experience and ask her to get in touch with us so we can investigate her complaint.

"We take the safety of our customers and the quality of our products very seriously. This nail glue complies fully with EU standards for safety, quality and product labelling.

The Midlands native is still using a cold compress on her leg and fears she may end up being 'scarred for life' (Credit: PA)
The Midlands native is still using a cold compress on her leg and fears she may end up being 'scarred for life' (Credit: PA)

"The glue is made of two ingredients which are both commonly used in similar products sold by retailers across the high street. The ingredients are listed on the product packaging alongside the required warnings about skin contact."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Hair and Beauty, Health

Lisa McLoughlin

Lisa is a freelance journalist working for Tyla and the team's token Dubliner. After graduating with a MA in PR and Digital Marketing from D.I.T., she worked for MailOnline, Sun Online, Irish Independent and broadcaster RTÉ. Got a story of interest or want advice on how to pour the perfect pint of Guinness? Then email her at [email protected]

 

Next Up

You Can Now Buy Giant Hoodie Blankets To Keep You Cosy Through Winter

You Can Now Buy Giant Hoodie Blankets To Keep You Cosy Through Winter

8 months ago