New Channel 5 Doc Will Revisit The Chilling Case Of Claudia Lawrence's Disappearance
A chilling new documentary is set to revisit the shocking case of Claudia Lawrence, who was last seen on 18th March, 2009.
The 35-year-old chef vanished without a trace in York a decade ago and her disappearance will be feature in a new three-part docuseries on Channel 5 called Missing or Murdered?
The true crime series, which will exam unsolved disappearances, features Claudia's story in episode three, which will air on the British broadcaster Tuesday, 3rd December.
Claudia was last seen near her home in Heworth, York, on the evening of 18th March, 2009. Claudia was then reported missing to North Yorkshire Police after she failed to arrive at work at the University of York.
Claudia had spoken to her mum on the phone that night, giving no hint anything was wrong but she was never heard from again - leaving officers desperately probing into her past, her relationships and her work life in an effort to find her.
During the investigation, several people were arrested over her disappearance, but none of them were charged.
Following her disappearance, police focused their investigation on the route between her home on Heworth and the University of York - her passport was found at her flat.
Despite this, police extended the search to Cyprus in September 2009 to carry out interviews in the area of Coral Bay and Peyia after they said that Lawrence knew several people who lived here.
However, no Cypriots were sought in connection with the case and nothing was reported as coming from the visit.
More Like ThisMore Like This
'Missing Or Murdered: The Disappearance of Luke Durbin' Poses Chilling New Theory On What Happened To Him
The Cyprus Mail recently reported that a documentary crew had finished filming the upcoming episode in Paphos, where she had visited on several occasions.
Speaking of the docuseries, shooting series producer and director Robin Anderson told the Cypriot publication that it had been difficult to find people to discuss the chef's disappearance.
He said: "I think it's been tough, particularly to find interviewees. People want to move on with their lives, and in the UK, on a crime watch programme, the policeman in charge of the enquiry at the time created a tabloid frenzy by a comment that he made about Claudia."
At the time, a member of the North Yorkshire police force made a comment of her "mysterious and complex" relationships - which greatly upset her friends and family both in the UK and Cyprus.
Due to the comment, the British police have refused to speak to the documentary makers while the Head of Peyia Police cancelled a scheduled interview with them as they declared the case "still live".
It was reported that the last text message received by Claudia before her disappearance was from a male friend that lived in Cyprus.
Meanwhile, the series producer added that Claudia's parents have taken part in the documentary as they feel that they owe it to their daughter.
Missing or Murdered? airs on Tuesday, 3rd December at 9:15pm
Featured Image Credit: Channel 5